where are the experts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

where are the experts?

I have been a long time reader of this forum and have gained allot of knowledge about my 1993 xlt Bronco. I have a problem now that I need some help on. I am Marine stationed in NC. I recently returned from Iraq and went home to PA to get my Bronco. On the way back down the highway it started to lose power and was running bad. I was cruising along about 70 mph and when I slowed down it had trouble speeding back up. I pulled off the road and it shut off on me. It did'nt want to start back up and when it did it would'nt rev up. I sat there for awhile and checked a few things like my distributor cap and fluids. It did'nt overheat and everything looked fine. After sitting there for about 30 minutes, I started it up and it ran fine and I finished my trip with no problems. I am considering gutting my cat because when I had the exhaust put on I wanted them to fix the broken air injection hose that comes into the pipe ahead of the cat. What they did was cap it off and then just tack the hose on top for looks so that it looks like it works. I have had a miss before that I could'nt figure out until I replaced the stock distributor cap with a brass type cap. This one I want to fix because I can't have a vehicle that I can't trust on the road for a trip, but I really like my Bronco. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 PM

Re: where are the experts?

How new are the plug wires ?

Your problem sounds like classic coil about to fail

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

The plug wires were replaced just before I left along with an MSD coil. I have oem wires now because the kind that you put together kept giving me problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:12 AM

Buy a set of Taylor Spiro pros. They may not fix the problem but you won't regret buying them. They are the best wire I've ever used and they come pre fabbed for our application.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

SixLitre and BigNorm, thanks for responding. Do you really think it could be the coil or wires? It seems to be running alright now, but it does seem to surge a little bit under light acceleration. I was thinking about putting that CATCO Y-pipe on with the new Cat it comes with. I don't know if I want to put much money into it, but then again, I really do like it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Try changing your fuel filter. Is it possible that you have an exhaust leak somewhere blowing onto a fuel line and it caused it to vapor lock? And one more thing I've come across before. The fuel pump will get hot and stop working. When it cools down it'll work fine again. Hope this helps you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode