4x4 not engaging - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM
wtd111

4x4 not engaging

I have a 89 Bronco with electronic control 4 wheel drive.
My problem is that when I try to shift into 4 low the transfer case makes a clicking sound and the 4 low light stops blinking. Occasionaly it will go into 4 low, it goes into 4 hi just fine. Do I have a bad control motor or is there something out of adjustment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 AM
mudmonkey119

Re: 4x4 not engaging

I have also got a problem with my 89 Bronco with the auto locking hubs and electronic shift 4wd. I select the 4wd and all i hear is the computer click. But the selector light does not come on, and no 4wd =( I am also a little fuzzy on the auto locking hubs? Am i engaging them right? I dunno? Anyone with a little more experience than me have any ideas? Thanks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 PM

for both of yall, make sure the truck is stopped and the tranny is in neutral before shifting into or out of 4wd, but especially when using 4lo. some trucks (mine is this way) you can shift into 4hi on the fly while your moving, but its just better for your equipment if your stopped and the tranny is in neutral anyway.

But make sure when shifting into 4lo that your completely stopped and the tranny is in neutral (same goes for takin it out of 4lo).

if that doesnt seem to fix it, it could be a loose or leaky vacuum line, or bad motor. go underneath and look where the motor connects and see what happens when you shift this time, and let me know what you see or hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

Both of you should read this article - it's a common problem with ESOFs.

If your auto hub locks aren't engaging, swap them for good aftermarket manual hub locks. I prefer MileMarker with the best lock body & the black plastic knob because they're only ~$65/pr with the same LLT warranty as Warn Premiums. For more info on swapping, click my signature & look in the Brakes & Hubs album.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:06 PM
mudmonkey119

Ok...I beat the transfer case motor with a rubber mallet, and the transfer case did shift into 4hi. when i switched it back into 2wd then again tried to go to 4hi, it did not shift again. According to the above reply and the attached article(which is very helpful) I will tear it down to clean and repair instead of an expensive replacement. I'll keep you informed of what I have found. Thank you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:19 PM

Well sounds like you established that the problem IS the transfer case motor. Better than the switch IMO. More expensive, but alot easier to replace than the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode