Help and knowledge needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 10:50 AM
BRONCO TERRY

Help and knowledge needed

First, I would like to thank everyone for there assistance with this post.

I purchased a 1985 Bronco XLT. Just found out the motor is worthless [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img].

I need help: It has a 302 EFI currently.

What motors can I swap in w/o alot modifying?

Could I use a Carb motor vs EFI motor?

Would a total overhaul of the 302 motor be worth while and if so, what components would be intelled in the overhaul?

Which of Tranny is in 1985 XLT?

Your help is greatly appreciated [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Is there a guide to removing engines on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 PM

Re: Help and knowledge needed

If you haven't already, buy a Haynes manual. This will be your beginers course in bronco repair. Haynes gives a good step by step of how to do almost everything on the vehicle. Check out Superford and look at what others have done. You will learn alot as pictures are worth as they say a thousand words. Here's my superford link: Big Norm's Superford link From there you will be able to search through literally hundreds of different Broncos. As for engine choice it's entirely up to you and how much work you want to do. You could swap in anything from a stock replacement to a 460 or even a Diesel. If you search the net enough you will almost always find someone who's done it or thought about doing it. Heres some good sites to check out after you are done searching this one: FSB
Pirate 4x4
[img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Unless you really want to get tied up into a major project, and have the vehicle down time to allocate a conversion , i would just find a quality reman 5.0 longblock to replace the tired one you presently have. The early 5.0EFI fuel line system from tank to engine, is quite unique and to rip all that b.s out to convert back to carb is gonna be a major pita alone. 351s share no common parts, exhaust manifolds, oil pans, intake anything for that matter, with the 5.0 so unless you really have the patience and time and a really understanding spouce like big norm does, dont go there..... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you have an auto with OD , then it has a AOD trans bolted to a borg warner BW1345 transfer case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 AM
BRONCO TERRY

MANIA

What's your opinion on doing a complete overhaul of the 302?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Being that you just bought this bronco and im not sure of your exact intent of usage for this truck, but, if its to be a daily driver and it currently runs, i would find another 5.0 longblock to build in the meantime. If its dead, sticking with the original engine will avoid compatability surprises for sure but i can tell you right off hand, a high mileage 5.0 in a heavy truck most likely will need to be overbored, not re-ringed (unless you want to deal with blowby) so a reman shortblock or long block usually saves a lot of hassle and headaches and time and still cost about the same , IMO anyways....

If this is to be a stricktly off road bronco- i would suggest that the 5.0 has to go.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 AM

If you want mileage keep the 5.0 if you want kick ass power and ok mileage go 460
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:52 AM
wtd111

I thought I could save money by rebuilding my 302, but it turned out that it took longr then I expected. If I had it to do all over again I would go with a remanufactured long block. It will save you time and money.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:32 PM

On the other hand I bought a cheap rebuild kit and a comp cam from PAW and only spent $600 on my engine rebuild. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That was strictly no frills though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:18 PM
curtcon

I would go with a 5.0 HO from a mustang better HP and torque than a regular 5.0 I have 260,000 miles on my HO and it still runs great. All I had to do was put in a fuel pump and hook up 2 power wires and 1 ground and the HO motor will run on its own. My boss is selling one with computer and wiring harness. I don't know were you live but he only want $400 for it. He got it out of his car before he turned it into a race car. I got mine from him and like I said 260,000 miles.

By the way does anyone know why I am still listed as a stranger.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
BRONCO TERRY

HEY thats a good deal man. I live in ATLANTA, GA. Would he consider shipping to me. So you say all I have to do is hook up a fuel pump and it will run some serious HP!!! is it really that easy. Also will it bolt up to my 302 auto tranny.

email me @ [email protected] with more details.

that price is better than a reman @ 1700.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode