Explorer 8.8 rear end on a bronco? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Lauge

Explorer 8.8 rear end on a bronco?

Hey guys,

I've got a 93 bronco that I love, which runs beautifully. My only complaint that I have with it is that the rear diff is open, and hence I have gotten stuck in some sand down in Baja. So I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for early 90's Ford 8.8 axle with trac-loc that will work with my ABS. Someone told me that the explorers from 95-2000 used the 8.8 axle but had discs on it instead of drums and that this would be the axle to get. While it seems like a great idea my questions are:

1) will this fit if I manage to find one?
2) will the ABS in the car work with discs in the back?
3) will having discs in the back really make a big difference in the braking performance of the truck?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Explorer 8.8 rear end on a bronco?

First of all I think explorers are skinnier then a full size bronco since they are built on a ranger chassis, so the axle would be too skinny, and Im sure the ABS systems are different...Keep your eyes open in the junkyards, I got a ford 9 inch out of a old F150 with a posi in it for 66$ out the door. It doesnt have and ABS provisions, but mine doesnt work anyways so I didnt care. You could probably look and find a nice 8.8 on a bronco or F150 with posi.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:12 PM

The 8.8 is crap with a locker. The tubes are too thin and will flex enough to destroy your diff. If you are going to a locker go with a 9" or bigger. Ford 10.25s I think came with ABS and will bolt right up to your Bronco. Loss of ground clearance is the only bad part. I don't think there were any rear D60s with ABS but that would be the perfect compromise between clearance and strength. I'd personally go with a 9" and convert to regular brakes. I think ABS is overated anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I were you I would make sure your ABS even works before you start planning on keeping it. I assumed mine worked until one day I slammed on the brakes in traffic and the rear tires were just skidding, along for the ride. I tried changing the sensor in the rear end and still nothing, so before you work to keep it make sure it works. I think a 9" is a perfect upgrade because they bolt in, there stronger, parts are dirt cheap and widely available and you can keep your same bolt pattern. If you are looking for serious strength and big tires the 10.25 sterling would be a better choice, but I think the 9 is plenty for most of us.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:09 PM

For serious beef I prefer the GM 14 bolt. It's stronger than the 10.25 and it is alot easier to set up. (I just finished mine two weekends ago) You will have to relocate the spring perches but most the time you would want to do that anyway for optimal performance. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode