4 wheel drive? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:41 PM
mikey v

4 wheel drive?

hey guys i finally got my '79 bronco up and running but i have a question how do i use the 4 wheel drive on it. Let me give you some deatils...its a automatic but with a shifter on the floor for the 4 wheel drive. i know that i have to trun my front hubs to lock but after that im lost if any one can tell me how to shift in to 4 wheel drive it would be greatly appreciated and also what does 4L,2H and 4H mean and witch is the one i want to use when i 4 whell drive(let me remind you im very very new at all this)
thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:39 PM
curtcon

Re: 4 wheel drive?

Well if its the same as my 82 ford witch I'm shure it is. Leave the truck in park pull the leaver back you should feel like a click or clunck somthing like that then put the truck in reverse and back up just a little and then drive and drive up a little you should here a cluck or even feel it engage. When you are driving you should here a humming noise.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:49 AM

2h= 2 high this is what you want for 2wheel drive.
4h= 4 high this is 4wheeldrive high which is the same gear range as 2hi but 4wheeldrive instead. DO NOT use 4-wheel drive on dry pavment as this can cause you lots of problems.
4l= 4 low this is usualy double the gear ratio of 4/2high for low speed 4-wheeling or say pulling sombody out of a ditch. Just lock your hubs stick it in 4 high and go. somtimes you might have to back up and go forward a hair to engage-disenage your transfer case lever. When you are done un-lock your hubs or you will get crap mileage in 2-wheeldrive as you will be spinning your front axle/driveshaft all the time. Also in winter time if you are out and its real patchy were you need 4wheel drive in some spots others not just leave your hubs locked. stop stick it in 4high and go on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Yeah. Park or Nuetral and you should be fine engaging 4WD. Play with the shifter. Get to know your truck man. Go to a vacant lot or something.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:39 PM
mikey v

thank you everyone i will try this i hope i dont screw it up. im sure i wont thanks for eveything im sure youll all here back form me for some reason or another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode