backfireing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

backfireing?

hi there im currently trying to get my old 1986 2wd 5.0 f-150 back to DD status after letting it sit all summer and half of winter while i drove my jeep. my truck drives but when accelerating between 0-45mph the engine loses power and backfires. we did the fule injector cleaning fluid but that didnt work. do u guys have any ideas? i tryed a search and didnt find anything. thanks
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Re: backfireing?

check for vacuum leaks. Maybe a varmint ate one of your vacuum lines.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 PM
curtcon

Is the truck fuel injected? If it is backfireing thru the exaust than it may be running to rich. If it is thru the intake than it may be running to lean. If the truck has O2 sensers than try removing them and cleaning them then install them again. Or if it is thru the intake than it could also be pour fuel preshure be it a hole in the line or a bad pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:28 PM

Also check for a bad fuel filter with it sitting so long it very well could have sucked crap out of the tank up into the filter when you started driving again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:32 PM
curtcon

What about the gas in the tank is it old it can make the truck have power loss and back fireing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

It could be old gas, my dad filled up both tanks right before this started happing. i dont know when the lasttime i used the backup tank so im sure there was a vary little bit of old gas inthere and my dad added the fule cleaner to that tank and used it first. if this is the problem, how should i go about fixing it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 PM
curtcon

Easy way but not the right way would be to run out the gas and keep using the fuel system cleaner. The right way would be to take out the tanks and clean them out but if there is not much in there than I would just run it out by driving it. I had to take one of my tanks out and clean it when I got the truck and that was 5 year old gas. The other tank have very little in it and I couldn't get the tank out (without replacing it). I ran it out and used fuel system cleaner not a good idea but it worked.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

just wondering, but why is it not a good idea to use the fuel cleaner over and over till it stops?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:39 PM
curtcon

its not that the fuel system cleaner is a bad idea its run the bad fuel. It can clog the injectors and the filter. But if its not alot of gas than it should be fine. You could also try draining the tank with a transfer pump if its enough gas to empty that way. But It might not be the gas just a suggetion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode