Disperate for help!!!! 86 F-150 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:21 PM
PABULL

Disperate for help!!!! 86 F-150

This is kind of long. First off lets say I have alredy change the starter and iginition solienoid and have relocated the ground. When I start the truck it starts fine but when I turn on the lights or honk the horn I blow the fuseable link between the iginition solienoid and Iam assuming the alternator but when I dont turn on the lights or honk the horn I just turn off the truck it blows the fuse again. Please help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 06:19 PM
curtcon

Re: Disperate for help!!!! 86 F-150

I had kind of a similar problem with my dakota It would just quit running and for no apparent reason. Then one day it did not start again. I changed the coil, plugs, wires even the computer and nothing. I got a haneys book for the truck and went through the wireing diagrams. I rewired almost all of the truck. Every thing worked the fuel the starter every thing but it would not get a spark. As I was rewireing one of the last few wires I noticed that it was pretty bad off it was green and broken. One wire came from the ignition and was conected to 4 other wires (from the factory) it powered the coil the computer and a couple of sensors. As soon as I changed the wires it drove fine and never had another problem with it.
I would get a book on the wireing of the truck and trace down the wires and see if there are any loose conection broken wires or coroded conections. If the lights and the horn are causing the problem I would start there. Is it a stock horn? My dad had an air horn on his truck it was cool but every time he hit the horn it would blow a couple of fuses.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:36 AM

Sounds like you got juice runnin two ways. Check the wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 PM
NOMO OFFROAD

sounds like a wire that is usually hot is shorted to ground
are is the light switch on the coulmn or the dash?
if it is in the column i would say that either the multifunction switch is bad or it's wiring is. either way the switch usually comes with the wiring already attach on most trucks. it runs down the column and out to the wiring harness. Check the connector for the mfs and see if it shows signs of chaffing. Also the ing switch wires are near there and they could be chafed and shorting to each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode