Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Q's about the Edelbrock truck series carbs (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/204954-qs-about-edelbrock-truck-series-carbs.html)

Ant69 02-15-2005 05:06 PM

Q\'s about the Edelbrock truck series carbs

I was just wondering if anyone has tried out the 650cfm Edelbrock Thunder series "off road" carbs? I have been using the Edelbrocks on my engines whenever more fuel was required but only street. Is anyone now or have you used the performer series, off road? Is it good enough for a little light off roading?

My previous wheelers have been a CJ-7 with a rochester 4bbl on a Buick 232 V-6, 3" Rancho kit and dual exhaust. The other was my 79 K-5 Blazer, stock(except for a 2" spring lift and tires) 350 small block and a 4bbl.

I'm in the process of putting a new 5.8 H.O. Win "H" into my 85 XLT. (I broke a piston rod and smashed a piston last summer)The truck usually just goes back and forth to work, but camping and off roading and rec shooting [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] are definately part of the plan.

Thanks for any info
Ant

BigNorm 02-15-2005 05:52 PM

Re: Q\'s about the Edelbrock truck series carbs

[ QUOTE ]
Is it good enough for a little light off roading?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes it is. When I got a little more extreme with mine it would crap out at steep angles. There's a way to modify it which improves it but I haven't figured it out yet. I'm running the autolight 2150 right now which gets much praise from the geezers at Pirates. motorcraft 2100 The carb's ability to keep fuel in the fuel bown is known by circle track racers as well. Yes it's a 2V carb, it's easy to find in wrecking yards. And it's cheap to rebuild. It doesn't look as cool as a shiney new AFB though. 2nd place for offroad carbs would be the Quadrajet.

Ant69 02-15-2005 06:10 PM

I ran the Quadrajet on my Blazer and never had an issue, the problem(as I sure you're aware) with the Quadrajets is the price for a "new" one. I can pick up the Edelbrock performer for around three hundred new. The Thunder series is around a c-note more but I wonder if it's that much better? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Ant

Jacob_Royer 02-16-2005 04:46 AM

The spring loaded 'offroad' needle and seat kit makes a big diffrence on the edelbrock carb!