Old Desert Goat Update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Old Desert Goat Update

Well here's the latest. I was concerned about the rear steer tie rod hitting the oil pan so I decided to put the overload leafs back on the packs up front. I'm happy with the results. The extra lift is minimal (about 2") but what I'm most happy about is the crisper feel of the pack as I tested them out (aka: bouncing up and down on the front end) When I was doing this I took the time to add a little extra beef onto the front shackles.

I'll be adding some stock lift blocks I got from the bone yard to even up the rear. There is a difference of about 1.5" between front and rear now as it sits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1386871-IM000876.jpg (93.7 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Re: Old Desert Goat Update

This also arrived in the mail today. [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1386874-IM000873.jpg (79.7 KB, 17 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Awesome, brother! Since you've just about got suspension fabrication down to an artform, Come on down and get started on mine. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Those are 38's you got on there, correct? Did you have a locker in it before? If not, you're in for a treat when you finally get out to wheel that beast. When I win the lottery, I'll send a C-130 to fly you and the Goat down here for a romp in some So. Georgia mud. If only I had the money to put running gear like yours under my drivetrain. Gives me something to work toward, I reckon. Thanks for taking the time to visit from FSB [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Do you have some kind of import-crushing custom bumper in mind or is that looking too far forward, literally? Of course, I think your beefy front shackle mounts would suffice for now. Take care and keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:27 PM

Progress is looking good Big Norm

any brake lines in yet ?

Keep up the good work

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

No brakes yet. I just bought this tonight though. web page
I wasn't going to buy it but when I thought of all the used tires out there that are 15's I knew I would win in the long run. I love to air down. It's not possible on 16.5's unless you want to reseat tires alot. As a bonus I'll have 4 spares. lol. That and I want to do the weld on beadlock thing. It's not really worth the time on 16.5s in my opinion since it is just as easy to break the inner bead at low pressure on that size. All that holds the bead on those is air pressure. 15's, 16,s and 17s are the way to go. 20's have the same problem as the 16.5s
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 AM

Awesome Norm!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

I got my 2" blocks in yesterday and my rear shocks done today. (Sorry no pix of shox yet, kinda embarassed of the gorrilla boogers holding them on right now) But here's my first flex shot. My high lift is maxed out here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1387660-IM000880.jpg (76.0 KB, 20 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:46 PM
curtcon

Lookin good let me know how you like that rear streer. Was it hard to put in?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Norm

Are those rear discs you just bought ?

BTW Good progress again there.

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Are those rear discs you just bought ?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. That's a kit to convert my front brakes to 3/4 ton Chevy units. Reason? To put it quite simply: to run 15's on the D60 without having to grind my brakes. There's a surplus of Jeepers, ect arround here with excess used tires to be sold. Most are 15s or 16.5s. I like to air down. I also was just given 4 15" 8 luggers a couple days ago from a friend who is going to run 16's (because he won't be able to clear his brakes either). To put it most simply I'm thinking ahead. I want to do weld on beadlocks eventually as well and the 15's are perfect for that too. Yes 16s or 17s would have been more ideal but the face remains that I got 15s for free. And in Norm's wheelin world you can't beat free. I'm doing all this on the cheap believe it or not and it's still cost me thousands. My hat's off to all the guys that 3 and 4 link there junk. That's all the more money spent. I'm happy with what I've built. I'm even liking the shackles up front. Yes, aproach angle suffers some but my pinion will always line up perfectly under flex unlike those who mounted there shackles to the rear. Do the angles in your head and you will see what I mean. I want the money I'm spending to last. I don't want to rebuild again and again. It'll happen on occasion I'm sure but in the long run I think my design will work out great.

You can see I have some good clearance under the rear flex. I think I'll be OK with the front as well.

Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to answer questions before they come along. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode