Still alive, still asking questions! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still alive, still asking questions!

Is anyone familiar with a dual exhaust set up for 300 six cylinders? I just found out 90's models have them. I want to know if the would go onto my 83 six cylinder. I don't care if I have to plug EFI and emiisions crap, just as long as they will line up. Any one know?

PS- I am looking for a 2 or 4 barrel intake for same engine. I posted it in the for sale wants section; correctly I hope! Email me if you have one ! [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Re: Still alive, still asking questions!

Yep, the cast "shorty headers" from the EFI 300's will work on the older carbed engines fine. Some people have to do a little bit of grinding, go to fordsix.com and search for "EFI manifold" for all the details, including the Walker Y-pipe number to hook those together for a single outlet exhaust.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 AM

Try here;

http://search.ebay.com/ford-300_W0QQfnuZ1

Also here;

https://secure.bcentralhost.com/clif...4/catalog1.pdf

Also I used a very nice Y connector;

From Flowmaster, available at Summit in different sizes that might work for you.

Look how cheap that EFI setup is going for on E-bay ! You've only to read about Steve83s 6 to realize EFI's the way to go.

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:27 AM

BTW

while I remember. My buddy did the swap on his 69 F-100 years ago. It was the 300s little brother the 240. While the power was way up the gas mileage was way down.

I Hated that three on the tree shifter ! BTW he eventually ditched the straight six and went to a 352 BB out of a galaxie. Power was up in spades, gas mileage was abysmal !!!!!!!

Steve83 basically just bolted in the wiring harness and injected 6 into his 83. Not only will this increase power and torque you also get more reliabilty, better starting and lo and behold and INCREASE in mileage.

Probably cost about the same too.

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:45 PM

Nice to see you around still Hake.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx Sixlitre for the tips! I want to go carbed for easier troubleshooting and maintenence, although I also love the ease of starting and driving that EFI offers. My engine is a 1983 six and I am putting it in my 85 Bronco mudder. (You may remember it...pics should still be posted on "my pics" on the test stuff here page.)
My 85 is currently EFI...maybe a six EFI conversion wouldn't be too hard. Have you ever swapped anEFI 302 to an EFI six? Would the EFI run my 1983 carbed six or would I have to switch heads and cams, etc?

As for the "Y" pipe, I just put brand new dual exhaust on the Bronco before the 302 gave up the ghost. I don'e want to throw it away...I actually paid a pro to put it in instead of doing the clamps and sawing myself! Plus, I race...sweet exhaust sound always wins the crowd even if you don't take first!

Not to worry, I've got the granny gear 4 speed- great tranny. I wouldn't go 352, they are too much work to bolt in since they never came in the 80's body style. Plus I want to go SIX! I've ran a built 390, stock 302, built 460, stock 350, built 360 (Dodge), stock 22R (Toyota), 351M, 351W, and many other engines in my many 4X4's I've owned over the years. I liked the 302 and 351W best, but now I want to go SIX! It has almost the same power as a 302 and more TORQUE. I watched a sorry sap take his SIX Bronco racing. The only reason I beat him was my Boggers. He ran regular all terrain highway tires. If he had real tires, he could've beat my screaming 302!
BigNorm- good to see a familiar name still here...you too Sixlitre! Is saw a lot of new names...hope they got good answers too!

I'm going to go check out that fordsix.com site now! [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mtbikerTi

Hello to new guy mtbikerTi! Thnax for the fordsix link!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still haven't made it to fordsix yet... after this post I am going!
I had a question...maybe fordsix will answer it or maybe not.

On my 300, the carb is mated to the exhaust. For the dual manifolds, they don't bolt to the intake at all. Will this pose a problem? Eventually I want to put a new intake on that will bolt up my old Motorcraft 2 barrel from my old 390, so then it won't be a problem. But until then, do the intake and exhaust come apart easily? Is there something under the intake that will have to be blocked off?

I want to use that old carb really bad! It came on my old 74 F-150. I pulled the tired 390 out and put a built 390 in. When I did that, I put an Edelbrock Performer and an Edelbrock 650 CFM on it. The truck had highway passing power like never before, but the old 390 with the 2 barrle had way more torque and chugging power.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:24 PM

These are questions Clifford engineering probably have an FAQ page to answer for you.

If your 85 is already wired for EFI I'd bet Steve83 would tell you it'd be pretty easy to swap in an EFI six.

Just imagine 35 degree climbing with EFI, no stalling, good to go.

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got EFI, but it barely works. The motor used to idle and do wide open throttle only. Now it only idles and spits and farts when given gas.
The old problem was diagnosed as faulty EFI...which in the early years (85-86) is supposedly very costly to repair. I was told to run it till it dropped and save my money. That was 4 years before it finally died, so I got my money's worth!

The new problem I think is the motor. I think I likked it. I've been told EFI 302's burn up cylinder #8. My old 89 F-150 burned up #8. On the Bronco, it had 135 PSI compressoin all around 5 years ago. Last year (when I heard about the EFI cyl #8 problem) I retested it. All were still between 125-130 PSI except #8 was down to 110. Two races later it died.

My other problem is I isn't made of cash! I got a screaming good deal on an 83 Bronco with a six for $100. The guy broke and motor mount and put the fan through the radiator. So for dollar reasons, I at least want to start with that motor.

If you feel I am making a big mistake going back to carbs- tell me why and I'll think about it. I'm not a rock crawler... I do mostly mud bogging and obstacle courses. I want the carb so a dummy like me can do the easy diagnosis and fix right there at the race if something goes haywire. I gots no sponsors or mechanics, I do it for the fun of it. Racing for me is way more fun than my competitors...some of them guys have thousands of dollars in their race rigs. I go cheap and am able to laugh it off when I blow a stock motor!

Last time the Bronco performed, Trina raced it in womens class. The only rig limitations were that unlimited class rigs were excluded. She went through fast and we watched the rest of the race.
We watched trophies being handed out and clapped for the winners, who many were even angry winners! They called third out to Scary Sherry. She has a 2000 Jeep with a modified 4.0 with Boggers and locking diff's. Second went to a girl who drove her boyfriends truck. It was a 78 F-150 short box with 38" Swampers. She had a built 460, 3000 stall tranny. The truck for him raced modified class and put out almost 700 HP. We were wondering who in the heck pulled first. When they called Trina's name we about ****! She raced my Bronco with the stock EFI 302, 4-speed, stock rear/front ends, stock Ford plastic 1/4 turn hubs. The only nice thing about the truck are the near new 33X14.50 Boggers.

I want to race the truck again, but want a simpler engine...hence the six. I think it will be as fast or faster with little modification. I am going to try to make it run in the stock class- hence my desire for the dual cast iron manifolds instead of headers. If I get the Offenhauser intake, I want to hide the name and paint it Ford blue. The Motorcraft carb shouldn't shouldn't raise any red flags. I want it to scream, but in a mildly warmed over way. I want the smooth idle of a stock or slightly over cam. I want it to be a sleeper.
For years I raced it with headers only and could never race stock class. I was told I actually lost power by putting on the headers beacuase it threw off my MAP sensors.

If you (or Steve83) can convince me that EFI is as easy as you think it is, I'll consider it; but remember I am already 90% sold on the carb!
[img]images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode