Possible to use 2wd AOD in bronco? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Possible to use 2wd AOD in bronco?

Hi all,
haven`t been around lately, too much OT at work, anyways, i bought some new shocks at sears about 3 weeks ago cuz they were on sale
50% off and finally got around to mounting them yesterday when i discovered my trans has begun leaking fluid from the front seal [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I just turned over 180K , someone here mentioned thats life expectancy for a typical AOD. Anyways, my question is a co-worker has a rebuilt AOD from his dads cougar (i think, or some merc) 5.0 1990s , with no mileage as car was wrecked right after trans job, is it possible to change tailhousings to use this trans with a BW1345 or are the output shafts different lengths also?

I checked performance sites such as:
lentech, art carr, baumann engineering , tci, ford-trucks, etc , but no info
only that pre 88 AODs are not a desireable core due to poor oiling in the rear section. Its possible this could seep for another 20K , but i dont want to wait till i have no options before deciding which route to take.
I can get this rebuilt trans for a good $$$ if it will convert over.

Anyone know for sure????

Thanks, Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 09:56 PM

Re: Possible to use 2wd AOD in bronco?

I have no idea on the swap but i'd just dump some tranny stop leak in it if its not leaking very much, still shifts good and is not slipping, invest in a good cooler and run it till it goes since its a royal PITA to drop/re-install the tranny in a 4x4. I've had alot of trouble with the AOD's in cars behind 302's one was an 87 t-bird 5.0 other was a 91 grand marquis 5.0. Both overdrive went out of (gradually) t-bird had 220k Mercury was around 140k, and because drive is so low they where basicly undriveable after OD took a crap so I have never been a big fan of the AOD. Know a few people with them in mustangs that have had alot of problems. I hear the E04d is alot better but then I've heard that you can build a good AOD. So who knows.. I say c6 is the best auto tranny ford ever built besides the lack of an overdrive. I'd say any early OD trannys (ford,chevy/chrysler) are going to be junk. The early 700r-4 GM's where total junk but the later ones are very durrable this i know from experiance. The AOD's i've heard are also better in the later years. Chrysler i've never heard a good thing about there OD trannys. Guy i work with is on tranny #3 in 2 years in his caravan.. I believe there are some heat isues. But last time he sheared some sort of pin that goes through one of the gears.. Anyway as i was saying earlier i'd just run it untill it craps out since its still good as a core and you might get another year out of it or maybe much more who knows... Might as well get what you can out of it before you swap it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: Possible to use 2wd AOD in bronco?

Its does and always has shifted fine, from what i gather, the aod was based on thr FMX trans ford had around the 70s era, which i had in my 70torino, pretty tough med-duty trans, however it took ford years to perfect it as an OD trans, the later eaod was somewhat better then it evovled in the 4r70w, much stronger.
performance builders use the better 4r70w innards to improve upon the original aod from what i gather on forementioned websites.
But im non-electronic so laterz wont work, however the aod can be built, with kevlar OD band, etc to be a very strong unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode