Auto hubs grinding! Manual conversion? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto hubs grinding! Manual conversion?

My truck is a 1990 full size Bronco, with stock front D44 parts. Unfortunately it has auto hubs, which I think crapped out on me this weekend. I was out wheeling at hollister hills here in California, when I heard this grinding, clunking noise out of the front axle. I was in 4 low climbing a hill and had to back down after the noise. I shifted in and out of 4low a couple of times to see if I could pinpoint a problem. I then drove around a little more in 4Low and the front tires were noe being driven(I got stuck by burying the rear end in 4Low) When my friend was pulling me out I heard this clunk noise again and suddenly the front tires started spinning. I am pretty sure it is a problem with the front hubs. Rather then try and fix I think I will just swap to manuals. What brand of hubs do you guys think are the best for quality, completeness, ease of install, etc... Also I am considering a solid axle swap in the future, which makes me wonder if the hubs could swap to a 78-79 solid D44? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:19 PM

Re: Auto hubs grinding! Manual conversion?

If you're going to replace them, buy Warns.

Before you replace you might want to take them apart, clean and grease them ... Sounds to me like the sprague clutch rollers aren't spragueing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought about trying to fix them, but I want something I can trust a little more, so Im pretty sure I want to swap them out for some manuals. Ive heard nothing but good things about warn hubs so I will probably go with them. Anybody here every do this conversion, do you need any speciality tools? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM

Get Warn Premium hubs, I love mine. Since you are going from auto to manual you will need a spindle nut conversion kit that you can get from Warn. Other than that you will need allen wrenches, snap ring pliers, and other misc. tools. Job shouldnt be too hard.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 05:48 PM

I would hardly call this a conversion....If you can replace your rotors then you have done all the work to change to manuals...

Warn Premmies = lifetime warrenty....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Nickster

Warn Premium hubs replaced the auto hubs on my 89 after they started grinding, easy conversion it took 2 hours, 2 glasses of iced tea, 3 cigarettes, and 0 curse words [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 PM
K5Blazerman77

yea auto hubs are pretty much junk, i got mile marker selectos, there pretty hot with the chome, actually they just came with my 4x2 conversion kit for my 203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode