Starter....or maybe not?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Starter....or maybe not??

Hey guys....I had alittle problem today starting my truck. I got in the truck and turned the key and.....CLICK! I turned the key back towards me and tried again...CLICK.
Now I'm sitting in the truck thinkin....man I just replaced my battery w/ a red top Optima.....that can't be it.
So I try it again. It starts up...HUH! I repeat this several times and it starts up every time. (Strong cranking power)
So I shut it down and pop the hood and start looking for loose battery cables, cable to the starter, and cable to the solenoid. All tight and no corrosion.
So now I'm thinking the starter is starting to crap out on me. It is the original starter. So I replace it. And it is still doing the same thing.
Any ideas? Maybe the solenoid is faulty.

P.S.
I cleaned all the connections and even ran a ground wire from the starter upper mounting bolt to the battery....just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 AM

Things to check...

Solenoid, ignition switch, Check the adjustment of the ignition switch the rod that goes from your keylock cylinder assembly could very well not be pushing into the switch as much as needed. There should be 2 studs sticking out of the collum that go through the body of the switch which has slotted holes. Try loosening these and moving it up the collum(twords the wheel) just a bit and see if this fixes it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Things to check...

Jacob,
Please bare w/ me. I understand what you are saying but how do I get the cylinder assembly out?

Thanks,
Jerry D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:01 PM
curtcon

My truck did this and I never found out what it was it has not do it in a while. Would this be the same as my truck 82 F-150.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:47 PM
NOMO OFFROAD

check your grounds !!!!!!
one of the most overlooked sources to elect problems are gournds. Make sure that they are all tight and corrosion free. make sure that you have one going from the bat to the engine block and not just the frame. sometimes believe it or not the rubber mounts for the sprngs the t-case and the engine do actulally do their job and insulate the engine from the body. also what Jacob said is a common prblem. it has been a while since i worked on one of these but i believe that the switch is on the column like a gm and has a rod running up to the lock cyl. look for the ing switch ( the elect part not the mech part) in the middle of the column in the spot that is the hardest to reach
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Well, I replaced the fender mounted starter sol. today.
No problems yet.....but I only started the truck approx. 5-6 times. I'll give it a full run tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

Jerry D.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, I gave the truck a good few days of everyday driving and starting and stopping in the cold weather and so far so good!
I guess the new starter and solenoid and cleaning all the connections did the trick.
Thanks again!
Once again you guys saved me from bringing the truck to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode