More top-end for a 3 speed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

More top-end for a 3 speed

Before y'all bite my head off, I want to assure you that I'm not getting my big, heavy, non-handling bronco ready for the race track. I put in a C6 along with my carbed 460 a few months ago and I'm loving the newfound power. Before the motor/tranny swap, I replaced the 8.8 rearend with a 9" and changed the pumpkin gears from the stock 3.55 to 4.11. The gear change helped alot with the old 302, but now with the 460, I'm finding that at normal, safe highway speeds, the motors turning 3000+/- since I now lack that 4th gear in the tranny. I don't drive the bronco on the highway that much, but when I do, it's often to drive 50 miles to the family farm for fishing/off-roading or to go hunting sometimes 100 miles away. I just don't want to damage the 460 by running for long periods of time at higher rpm's. I said all that to ask this: which route would be best for alleviating the high rpm problem? Just buying taller tires? I have 35's on it now. Bump up to 37's, 38's? But then am I asking for my TTB front end to crap out? Only mud and dirt, no rock crawling in the bronco's future. Or change the differential gears back up to say 3.73? Or is there some overdrive kit that I'm not aware of that's available? I don't have alot of money left to throw at this so cheap=good. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Or final choice: just be happy with all the new stump-pulling power and just allow more travel time for my next trip? All ideas welcome. Thanks.
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:26 PM
curtcon

Re: More top-end for a 3 speed

gear vendors makes an overdrive bolt on kit we use them at my work for hot rods and street rods. I know they make a 4x4 kit dont know how much they are but I'm shure there not cheep. mite be worth checking out. www.gearvendors.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 AM

Personaly i'd switch back to the 3.55's if you still have them. You won't loose hardly any performance do to the massive tourque output of the 460. 460's run fine with high gears and get good mpg. I'd also sugest ditching the holley for a 750cfm edelbrock carb.. You will gain 4+ mpg by that alone. My old 460 f-250 got 8mpg with the holley and 14/15 with an edelbrock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

first, thanks curtcon, Gear Vendors indeed has a nifty overdrive kit, but yeah, it's a bit pricey! cool though. Yeah, I was afraid someone was going to tell me to swap the old 3.55's back in, Jacob. I turned them in for core refund when Randy's ring & pinion sent me the third member for the 9" pre-assembled with a locker, same for the front. Well, that's still cheaper than than the $2600 i think gearvendors wanted [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:36 AM

The problem with an overdrive kit will be the driveshaft length...most require shorting the already short shaft.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Peacemaker

Gear Vendors IS very pricey. As another option several people make adaptors to bolt a 460 to mny of the Ford OD transmissions and didn't the 460 of the 90s have an OD automatic stock ?

Try Lentech transmissions. They build all of them so they'll that stand up behind 1100 hp engines.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

Might be a cheaper option. I'm also wondering what a torque monster like a 460 is doing with steep gearing like you have ?

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 PM
curtcon

Yeah I new they where some money but I didn't think they were that much. Then you would have to shortin the rear shaft and stretch the front thats alot of money.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:15 AM

heck you could probably run 2.72's with 35's and a healthy 460 as much tourque as they have and still blow doors off a 302.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Well, sixlitre, I swapped the 3.55's out for the 4.11's when I was trying to milk all the muscle I could out of the 302 which previously resided under the hood. what do y'all reckon would be the best gear ratio to get since that looks like the cheapest/easiest fix? As for the health of my 460, the fellow i had build the motor rated it at 400hp and 500+ ft/lbs. i don't believe he was boasting since the numbers weren't important throughout the build and i only asked for them after the fact just for curiosity's sake. Haven't dyno'd it or anything though to be sure. i just know that i can embarass sports cars between redlights if i want to and that it gets better gas mileage than the 302 if i don't play too much. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-scott
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 PM

I would deffinetly re-gear back to 3.55's or so if you plan on highway driving a 460 is made for low-rpm use and won't live long at 3k all the time. Idealy it would be nice to cruise around 2k or less for optimum mpg. 460 has plenty of low-end tourqe to do this. It would be very expensive to buy a od tranny that would live behind a 460 with that kind of power output. Gears or the OD unit would probably be cheaper. Expecially gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode