Decision Time: axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Decision Time: axles

Ok gang, I've posted on this topic before, but after doing much research and speaking with a couple of guru's I'm looking to seal the deal on a decision. On my 98 Durango I have a front half ton SA Ford D44, and a rear Ford 9" (I never expected to go over 38.5's). The way things are looking I'll be going to 46" slickey mickeys, or 49" IROKS. Below I have listed some ideas and partial questions for my plans. Any insight is appreciated. This truck is not wheeled often and only locally which is sand/mud/trail riding. NO ROCKS!!

A. Through researching, I've found the biggest differences between a half ton and a one ton (strength factor), is the fact that one tons have thicker housings, and there a stronger kingpin design. I was thinking of going to F250 Flat top knuckles, a spicer balljoint, and trussing the hell outta this D44, along with trussing the rear Ford 9". Aside from it only being a 5 lug setup, shouldnt this be enough to get the job done or will I have to dodge speed bumps in fear of breaking something? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Also, is there a manufacturer that sells a truss kit or will I need to build one?

B. I was thinking of Utilizing the rear Ford 9 and upgrading to a one-ton front end. This leaves with the dilemma of a 8 lug front, and a 5 lug rear. So, is there anything on the market or trick to converting a front one ton to 5 lug, or a rear Ford 9" to 8 lug?

Keep in mind this wont be to hard of a wheeler, I'm going to get another suzuki samurai as a DD and my beater. So the durango will be a every once in a while wheeler and nothing more than the extremity of Sand dunes and mud pits and some trail riding. I figured since some one tons are 31 spline and the roughest time on axleshafts are at full turn with a locker (I have a tru-trac front) on rocks (or somewhere with hard traction), that with trussing and spicer balljoints it would take the stress of 46's-49's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:07 PM
curtcon

Re: Decision Time: axles

On the question about the 9", moser makes a 9" axle the you can order to fit almost any vehicle. I know you can order what lug patern that you want but I dont know if you can get a 8 lug patern. Mite be worth checking it out. www.moserengineering.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 PM

Man i hope you have a v8 in that thing with tires that big [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i could only imagine trying to turn 38.5's with a 3.7l! I've seriously considered a durango for my wife to replace her car. I like the look and the size/comfort alot more than explorer's which in my opinion are junk and jeep cherokee's. I wouldn't ever go with big tires and a lift just stock though i remember you posted a pic awhile back and it looked awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Man i hope you have a v8 in that thing with tires that big [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i could only imagine trying to turn 38.5's with a 3.7l! I've seriously considered a durango for my wife to replace her car. I like the look and the size/comfort alot more than explorer's which in my opinion are junk and jeep cherokee's. I wouldn't ever go with big tires and a lift just stock though i remember you posted a pic awhile back and it looked awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya it has the 318, its also geared with 5.13's so the 46-49' wont be "to" much for it. Its a nice truck, with proper gearing the 318 has more than enough power for me (thats with any vehicle though).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
On the question about the 9", moser makes a 9" axle the you can order to fit almost any vehicle. I know you can order what lug patern that you want but I dont know if you can get a 8 lug patern. Mite be worth checking it out. www.moserengineering.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya good point I forgot all about moser, I'm going to call them today, I called them a while back about making some 8-5 lug converters for a one ton but never asked about the rear ford 9".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode