69 F100 Engine Trouble maybe carb??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:23 AM
OpTaylor

69 F100 Engine Trouble maybe carb???

I've recientally bought my self a new toy, as my gf calls it, in all honestly I stole it, well sorta. It's a 1969 F100 that was placed on a 74 frame, it's been lifted 6 to 8 inches, and 36in mud tires, roll bars and one beefy brush guard. Oh and it has ZERO rust, in Minnesota that is a rare thing for such an older vehicle. The best thing about it is that I only paied 500 bucks for it, so it was a steal. Only bad part is the ugly poop color. And some minor fixes.

I'm sure that if I searched enough I'd find every answer to any quesiton that I could muster up, but so far the search enging isn't helping much so here it goes...

The problem is that it has no balls. The 351m in it has had a lot of work done, but no balls. She idles fine and I can rev it up and everyting but as soon as I put it in drive and step on the gas, she no wanna go, it almost seems that it is flooding it self out. It's the stock carb and I'm sure that most of you guys will tell me to ditch it, but I figure why pay the cash if it is an easy fix. I know about as much about engines as an average guy, but when it comes to trouble shooting, it's like asking my grandfather to program the VCR. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks
Opie [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:05 AM

Re: 69 F100 Engine Trouble

i would say carb and also check your timing i have a 400 that i put a performer intake and cab on and it woke it up but you might just want to rebuild the stock one
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Make sure your M has the non-retarded cam gear on the timing chain set.

Many later M motors came from the factory retarded 4 degrees for emissions. That'll make any engine feel sluggish.

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM
OpTaylor

Ok I've been messing with the timing all day today and it seems to be getting a little better, took out the number one plug and made sure I got it tdc, then checked the cap to make sure roter was in right place and did a little adjusting while it was running, but it is still shooting gas out of the carb along with lots of smoke whenever I put it in gear in hit the gas so I am thinking that maybe it isn't timing unless there is somehting wrong with the timing chain, grrrr.

Oh and a link to a pic of the tuck:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/543de55...shH5BBc7CEghf_

Thanks
Opie [img]images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM

It's possible your chain skipped a tooth

Sixlitre
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 04:47 AM

If the chain needs replaced. Ask for a 351 cleavland timming set for a 1970/1971 you will eliminiate the factory cam retard and free up 20/30hp! also a edelbrock performer intake and cam also an edelbrock 600cfm carb your looking at a 75/100hp increase easily. these things will scream with a GOOD carb/cam/intake/timming set. Don't mess with holley 4bbls they are a waste of time and PITA. Edelbrock requires very little setup time and never has to be messed with. M engines have a bad rap because in stock form they have no balls whatsoever. With a very little time/money invested they will walk all over most of fords other engines. I know of a couple 400m's that will smoke a 460 and are very mildly built.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
OpTaylor

dude you were reading my mind. From day one I didn't like the whole stock 2brl idea. So I've been on the net pricing some stuff out and by the looks of it I can give the truck more than engough hp for under 1000 bucks and it should fix the carb/engine problems also.

Thanks
Opie [img]images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:58 AM

it might also be a vacume leak
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM

I'm with Jacob

on staying away from Holleys and going with Edelbrock carbs. They're just a better designed Carter, which were always easier to tune at home.

The other choice is to buy a rebuilt 2 bbl as few 4bbls deliver as much off idle torque as a 2bbl.

See if Jegs has "Torque Plus" intake gaskets for that engine. They're like screen mesh that breaks up the fuel charge into smaller droplets.

My Mopar 360 2bbl woke up a smoked em' after I installed those. Huge low ened torque improvement and 4-5 mpg improvement. On carbed engines they're the way to go.

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Speaking of mopar's i damn near bought a 02' 1/2 ton quad cab 4x4 with magnum 360 today. drove it and fell in love.... Untill i found out how much the payments where......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode