Hard starting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hard starting

I have a '90 model Bronco with a 351W. After it sits for 4 or 5 hours it is hard to start back up again. It is not getting any gas, if I use some starting fluid it start for a second until the starting fluid is gone then it will die again. After I get is started it has no problem getting gas and if I kill it it will start up again with no problems. Anyone have an idea? I don't know much about fuel injection systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hard starting

My knowledge is not great either, but I dealt with an oldsmobile like this in my high school auto shop. It was the same way it wouldnt start without some help (carb cleaner) and after running off carb cleaner for a while it would fire. Our teacher told is it was probably a bad fuel pressure regulator, or that there was a leak somewhere else in the line causing the system to loose pressure after each use. Normally fuel systems stay pressurized. I know the fuel pressure regulators on these trucks are the topic of much discussion. So maybe you could start there? Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
curtcon

before you start it next time try turning the key back and forth a few times to let it pressurize and they try to start if that works I would say its a leak. I dont know if its the same as my truck but check the vacume hose that goes to the fuel pressure regulator after it has been running, if it lets gas out the regulator is most likly bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have tried turning the key back and forth, but I can't tell that it makes any difference. I'll take a look at the fuel pressure regulator tomarrow if I have time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 AM

A guy i know's efi 302 had this same problem and turned out to be a bad fuel filter and also a bad plug on the fuel pump making a bad connection.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:44 AM
BroncoWar

I believe i had the same problem, but when ever i got it started and drove it for a while it was hard to start back up, this may be what you encounter, if so its probably your alternator not giving the battery enough juice back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode