Bronco mileage. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Bronco mileage.

Can anyone give me a guestimate on what kind of mileage i would get with a bronco..EFI all stock.

5.0 Mass air or speed density
5.8 mass air or speed density.

Doing some shopping and just want to know what i am getting into.. I've heard that the mass air 5.0's ate more gas but had more power but i am not so sure if this is true or not.. Guy i know has a 94 f150 2wd 5.0/auto with 20k on it and it only gets like 12/13mpg and he babys it.. I found a 95 bronco eddie bauer 5.8/auto 90k for $4800 deffinately going to check it out this weekend. ALOT better price than what ive been seeing on bronco's. And a 5.8 seems alot more promising to me. I've drove the older speed density efi 5.8 trcks and couldnt tell much diffrence from a 5.0 hopefuly the newer ones are better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:22 PM

Re: Bronco mileage.

Jacob

my 86 EFI 302, with better exhaust and ignition and stock sized tires nails down 15-18 mpg (on an American gallon).

In the Summer I have touched 19.75mpg and once 22mpg on a long, low speed trip.

In the Winter it can drop dramatically depending on how cold it is, the knobbier tires, the tire pressure, whether I'm in 4WD,length of warm up, etc.

I'm a leadfoot off the lights and drive 70-75mph on the hwy, with 1/4 savage city traffic driving, 3/4 expressway/hwy cruising. When anyone else drives my truck it goes up 2 or more mpg.

I'd think a newer shortbox F-150 with a bed cover or no tailgate should out to a Bronco gallon for gallon.

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I just didnt want to buy one and discover that it only gets 10mpg. As long as I can get at least 16mpg i'd be happy. My EFI 300/5speed/2.72 gear setup in my f150 averages 20mpg with getting into it a couple times a week. I've stayed out of it and got 23mpg with 60mph average. 95% of the time that engine never see's more than 2000rpm. I drive 45 miles one way to work 5 days a week (90 round trip) 40 miles highway 5 miles are backroads and average 60/65mph and plan on driving my new vehicle at least half the week to give the old truck a break since it has 256k miles on it. So i wanted to make sure I'd get somthing halfway economical. I thought about trying to find a efi 300 bronco but they are few and far between and 99% of the time are automatic. I am sorry but automatics totaly suck with a 300 because of there narrow powerband. 300's perform nicely when you are in control of the shifting and you have 4 or 5 gears. I am kinda leaning twords a 351 if i can find a good deal on one. I've always liked the power more and from what I understand they have a slightly stronger bottom end due to extra webbing in the casting of the block. I had a carb'd 351w in my 72 f100 and I loved it even though it was a total gas hog. Though its really hard to get good mileage out of a carb'd v8. Fuel injection has carberators beat hands down on gas mileage thats for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:05 PM
BroncoWar

i have a 5.8 351 1990 bronco eddie bauer and it get rufly 14 mpg on the highway, and 11 mpg in city driving.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM

My 302 was gettin 10-12...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:26 PM
erik

I can agree with the most. But, 33's was bad for the whole car. Poor mileage, not enough torque, changes from OD to D even for small hills. Must be better with 31's on a stock car.
In winter will my mpg decrease with over 200%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode