Besides ring and pinion... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Besides ring and pinion...

Besides the ring and pinion, what else will I NEED to get when I change out my gears (seals, bearings, etc.)? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Aprentice

Re: Besides ring and pinion...

Most places that deal with rign and pinions will sell an install kit. The kit usually consists on the necessary shims needed to get bearing preload and backlash set properly. Can't be sure if they contain seals or not. If you do not have the micometers to measure the preload and backlash then you will need to buy that tool as well. Randy's ring and pinion was who I dealt with when I did my gear swap and they hooked me up on everythin I needed. They seemed very knowledgable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 04:07 AM

Gear swaps are not a good idea for somone that doesen't know what they are doing. There are not a whole lot of people out there that can actually set one up right. I've had to take a truck back to a shop 3 times before they got it right before. Ask around about people that are knowledgable on doing gear swaps. Its a very easy thing to mess up if you don't know what you are doing and is well worth paying somone that does to do it for you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:27 PM
HiPoSped

I agree, a gear swap is not something that you want to try if you've never done one yourself. They can be a little tricky. Either way, I'd recomend changing your axle seals and wheel bearings while your at it and instead of a crush sleeve switch to a solid spacer and shims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode