Flooding, choking, dying... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 07:46 PM
abrrox

Flooding, choking, dying...

Hi all.

My 1980 Bronco, 351M, C6, with a Holley 600 and manual choke is flooding, I think, something fierce. Here's the deal, and I hope someone can help!

I'm driving it home today and it's running like a dream - like it always does. I just start to go down a steep hill and it suddenly just dies. Sputters and dies.

It won't start. So I hold the gas to the floor and hold the key on. After a few seconds it starts something rough, black smoke billowing from the exhaust and the smell of gas. I take my foot off the gas, it idles good for two seconds then the idle drops down (as it should) and it sputters and dies quickly. So basically, I repeated this scenerio at every light going home, and drove in low gears to keep the revs up and the truck running.

Also, the battery gauge has moved from dead centre towards the "C", about half way. Keeping the revs up makes it come back to the centre a bit. The battery is new and the connections tight. And it turns the starter like crazy!

Also, I noticed it was running a little hot today as the weather warmed up today and I had the grill bra on, but it was open, and the needle was still in the "normal" zone.

The truck has about 250K (150 miles) on it and I am the second owner. It has been exceptionally well taken care of, but I'm not sure how old the carb or ignition and fuel systems are, as it's always ran great and I never screwed with any of it.

I'm not sure what to do here. As long as you floor it to start it, it will start (with a lot of black smoke and a strong gas smell), but take your foot off the gas to put it in drive and it dies. Some gas comes sputtering out the top of the carb when it dies and then it smokes from the butterfly. (Setting the high idle with the manual choke does not help, nor did turning the idle screw to increase the idle.)

Well guys, until I can get some assistance on this board, I'm hoofing it. Please help if you can...

Thanks!

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
curtcon

Re: Flooding, choking, dying...

I don't know alot about carbs but I've been told that going up or down steep hills can flood a carb. but that sould work its way out. I forget if its preditor or perana carbs but they don't use floats like a normal carb so they will not flood out do to steep hills or intense off road driving. Try turning the fuel mixture scew all the way in and then 2 1/2 turns out. From what my buddie said thats a god place to start with any carb.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:27 PM

First thing i'd do is pitch the holley they are J U N K ! ! ! guy i work with sold his truck because it was doing the exact same thing yours is and guess what? the guy that bought it stuck a new carb on there and changed the oil(crankcase was full of gas from flooding) and it runs great plus he got himself a nice truck for $200 that was probably a 1500$ or more truck. holley carbs are a PITA edelbrock is much better for street or 4-wheeling. get a 600 edelbrock or a carter afb(same thing but cheaper) once you get the mixture and idle set you never have to mess with them and they have alot better street/offroad manners than a holley. Q-jets are the best thing since sliced bread on a 4x4 though but you would have to get a 4 hole adapter plate (the open style adapters will never work right)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:11 AM

It sounds like you need to adjust your float levels. You can do that on Holleys. One thing about the Holley is that it requires alot of maintenance to run correctly. They are a great strip carb but as said offroad they suck in off camber situations. The Edlebrock AFB left me disapointed too. I've tried the Qjet with mixed results mostly due to I think my lack of experience with these carbs. I'm trying a Autolite/Motorcraft 2150 right now. It is a 2V carb but it seems to be real responsive. (seems because all I can do right now is start it and go rooom roooom. lol) I doubt anything less than fuel injection is going to leave me wanting but the old timers swear by the 2100s and 2150s so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Take Care and be safe. NORM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 AM

I've heard good things about the edelbrock thunder avs truck carbs. Looks like they took the best features of a q-jet and an edelbrock and put them together.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 06:57 AM
vitaminc

I agree with Norm - sounds like a float level problem. Sometimes a piece of dirt can keep the float from closing causing fuel to dump into the manifold. First thing to try would be tapping the float bowl with the back of a screwdriver or something else soft. If your lucky this could solve the problem. Otherwise take the float bowl off, clean the needle and seat, and confirm that the float is set at the right level.

I've had a holly on my rig for the last 8 years and have had pretty good results. I haven't tried them but they do make center hung bowls for off-camber situations. I think by nature any carb is not going to perform in extreme off camber manuvers. If you plan on keeping the holley, I would suggest buying a book on tuning them. I found once I got the hang of them they are easily maintained and tuned.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
abrrox

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice. You were all pretty much bang on. I took it to Ford (for the Big Q) and the boys rebuilt it. It was the easiest thing to do even though it was pretty expensive. The mechanic said the needle and float and power valve and pretty much everything was shot.

But wow, what a difference. Mucho power. I'm pretty impressed. Thanks for the input everyone!

Now, anyone want to tell me what the oil pump pressure relief valve is, and would it be contributing for high oil pressure at start up??? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode