302 comming soon.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

302 comming soon....

tank the block and heads.... .030 bore on the cylinders....re-grind the valve seats and all the valves....order one piston to match the set and machine to match weight....double check all the rods...and supply and install new cam bearings

= $510

block is from a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis. too bad it was a non roller motor. im going to convert it to a roller motor. already has the taps in the lifter valley for it just got to bolt in parts.....E303 or comparable cam....the pistons are forged flat top TRW....

Still need an intake....get the crank turned...and the gaskets and rings...

Will make a nice engine for in m y truck with the NP435 behind it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:40 PM

Re: 302 comming soon....

Sounding good so far Freebird

Lets see if your wallet holds out

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

good point..

so far so good. right now im at $670.00 total

$510 - machine work
$100 - used pistons and rods (only 30k on them and i knew the engine they were in)
$60 - Used Roller lifters and hold down assmy

my goal is to try and stay under $1300-$1400. I think i can do it...but i still got a bunch of parts to buy and i got to have the crank turned yet ($100)

my buddy had pretty much the same engine in a 1990 F150 w/9" lift and 35's and 3:08 gears and it it ran very well. he then went to 4.10's and the truck is impressive for a 302. his engine went though cause he used a remanned crank that happened to be welded. crank busted right at the weld (locked engine solid...not self destruct). so when he put another one back together he didnt have to bore it so he had the pistons left over. they all looked really good so i sent them with my block and had them check the rods out make sure none were bent. one piston was pretty scored on the skirt so they ordered me a new oneand machined it to match the weight of the rest of the set.

im gunna take some pics after i pick it up next week. got to wai till i get my x-mas bonus from work on monday..WOOHOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 AM

Yeah I hear you on the rewelded cranks

Had one bust, at the center main, right in half on an Austin engine many moons ago.

With an engine as common and easy to get as a 302 there's no reason to settle for a welded crank when you can find a good used one and polish it or turn the one you have.

With higher rpm engines I'd rather go new or used and just polished at stock size. I found turning them, even .010 under removed the factory case hardening.

Should be fine in a truck, with the lower rpms, though.

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

well im hoping i can just get this one polished but one of the journals has some grooves in it. it would probably need turned.

i dont know about hte low rpm's though....i kinda like the skinney pedal a little too much...but i doubt it see more then 4000-5000 rpms

im not planning on working the truck too aweful hard...just a tow rig for my samurai and for camping and what ever the case may be...need to step up to the ext cab for the interior room. 2 adults and two almost full grown labs just dont seem to fit right in a mazda B2300 reg cab or a pontiac grand am lol
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:11 PM

Anything under 5500 rpms ain't high rpms in my book

You're safe. My Bronco upshifts, at wide open throttle from 1st to 2nd at 4800 rpms and that's about perfect in my books.

Before the shorty headers it was upshiftintg around 4500. Even in low range it's rare that I ever go over 5000 rpm.

I'm sure yours will live happily std or .010 under.

Do SBFords benefit from windage trays as much as small block Mopars ?

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

everything ive read the windage tray on a SBF is a great upgrade. im tempted to try one in this engine.

the engine my friend put back together to put into his truck at last time he drove it saw 8k and possibly more...was playing tug o war in a frozen field with a custom build mud buggy (scout frame and axles....jeep front sheetmetal and firewall...rest was all tube w/ 350 chevy engine, 5.13 gears and 44" boggers)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 AM

I know a windage tray makes a noticeable difference on a 360 Mopar

Built one for the street in 95 for torque and mileage in my daily driver Fifth Avenue and did everything to reduce friction and increase reliability that I could.

Used a windage tray, double roller chain, ported the exhaust ports slightly and blended all throats and bowls below the seats, back cut the exhaust valves, bullet shaped the new guides and did a 5 angle valve job.

Re-rung the stock pistons, decked the block, had to turn the crank .010 and .010, new cam bearings.

Used a 78 Thermoquad 4bbl intake and 74 non-emissions 800 cfm Thermoquad, Torque Plus intake gaskets (like door screens across the port)

MSD-6 with Blaster II coil, gaps out to .060, Jacobs plug wires, and an MP vacuum distributor tuned like this;

Thing knocked off 23mpg (American gallon) at 75mph all day on the hwy and 18 in the city. If you could drive under 60mph it would return almost 26mpg. Came out of the hole like a cat if you stomped it and accelerated at part throttle effortlessly from idle. It rarely had to kick down to pass, even going up hills.

It's amazing how much power is there for the tuning on stock North American engines, without having to resort to the Chevrolet-way aftermarket speed parts.

Sixlitre
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

thats pretty cool. im hoping to get about 13-15mpg out of this truck. my biggest enemy is weight. its an 83 F250 ext cab long bed 4x4.

everyone keeps tellin me i should have built a 351W but i cant justify going out and finding another block when i got this one free...i would be doing the same things on a 351W as im doing with this. the truck is not going to be a heavy hauler. i could get away with an F150 ext cab but i happened acrss this 250 for cheep with a good body.

with the way the truck is geared 3.54's w/ C6 auto right now when its driven it hits almost 4,000 rpm @ 65mph. which is pretty much in the powerband of that 302 with the cam im putting in. Im swaping out the C6 for an NP435 4speed which will help also.

if i would haul a heavy trailer or something i would agree with the 351W...but im not going to work this truck to its full potential so there is no point.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:32 AM

With a truck that big you could have justified the need for a 351 for sure, but money's money.

4 grand is way too high for hwy cruising with a V-8. Hope that 4 speed lowers that down a whole lot for you. I'm doing less than 2000 at fully 70 mph in the 4600 lb Bronco (with the AOD).

I know you're heavier and all, but still you should be able to lower that to 2400 and still have hwy power and a whole lot better mileage.

IMO

Sixlitre

BTW

The fat old Fifth Avenue was 4200lbs and only a 3 speed auto, guess it did it via better wind resistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode