Rear Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear Locker

I know the topic of rear lockers has been widely discussed, but if you guys would take the time to tell me what rear lockers you are running and what you think of them I would appreciate it. I have a 90 bronco and I am going to add a rear locker but I am deciding between a permanent locker like a detroit or a selectable like an air locker. I guess my main question is how rough is a detroit on the street, I dont do many street miles so I can live with a rough ride and a nasty U-turns but I dont want to break anything. Also how do I know if I have 31 spline axles or not? And on the topic of axles what are some good upgrades for more strength, and if I go 35 spline do I need to change anything else? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 10:18 AM

Re: Rear Locker

What size tires are you going to be running? I'm guessing with a 90 you have an 8.8. If you are going to be running anything bigger than a 33" tire then I'd strongly suggest getting a 9" off a wrecker. The 9" is much stronger than the 8.8. The 8.8 has way weaker tubes which can/will flex in high stress (locked) situations and can result in a busted carrier. As far as lockers go I love the Detroit. Just remember it's back there and remember to coast around corners as much as you can. It engages when you send power to it. When that happens you will hear the tire chirp arround corners. In snow just remember to lock your front hubs and the front will pull the rear. Otherwise the Detroit will have you spinning with the front open. ARB is as good as they come but it is alot more expensive. That's a mod I'd save for the front if you decided to go that route. Take Care and be safe out there. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks bignorm for the reply, I am running 35" tires and it is already geared to 4.10, a perfect combination for me, Im just tired of getting stuck in the mud or not able to climb a rock, because Im spinning 1 rear and 1 front tire. I have considered going with a 9" but thats more money I dont have, for the axle from a junkyard, then to regear it and I still need to buy a locker. So I think im gonna stick with the 8.8 for now, I dont wheel super hard or often so I think it will be ok for a while. As for as axle upgrades for the 8.8 does anyone have any thougts or opinions on some good upgrade rear axles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 PM

Believe me I understand the money part. 8.8 should get you where you are going so long as you don't get stupid with the stupid peddle. Maybe look into trussing the 8.8 somehow to alleviate some of the tube flex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode