Oil pump pickup tube brace? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Oil pump pickup tube brace?

Ok... While assembling my shortblock i realized that my oil pump pickup tube brace was broken on both ends. Pickup tube was still in really nice shape and i'd already cleaned it up. Anyway digging through junk in my garage I came up with this setup.

I am wondering if this was a retarded idea and going to cause problems in the future?? I took 3/8" copper tubbing hammered it flat wrapped it around the pickup (after i sanded it and fluxed it) soldered it with acid core. which the joint goes all the way across the makeshift brace and and all the contact points are soldered. (yes its pittiful but i don't have a welder....just a propane torch...) anway it seems rigid the joint is very solid i don't see it comming apart any time soon. Anyway some input would be appreceated on this as I am going to have the pan back on this weekend. Finaly got my rockers,pushrods and cam delivered. So if all goes well this weekend it will be running again.

PS: another thing. Other day a guy was telling me that he always takes the tin piece off the bottom of the pickup and solders a copper penny over the hole in the center of the screen. What he was saying was that when the engine is cold the hole in the center is open and will alow crap to suck up into the oil pump. and that when the engine warms up the tin sucks up against the hole preventing this. Anybody ever here of the penny thing or is this guy smoking crack? it sounded reasonable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 11:06 AM

Re: Oil pump pickup tube brace?

It looks like your sump is huge!!! [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] Which is good. I like your brace idea, all I can say is it can't hurt and all it will do is help from having the sump bang around in rough terrain. I've never heard of the penny thing but it makes sense. I'd think your oil filter would catch anything that went up that way anywho. I always listen to the old(er) guys. Experience is lifes best teacher.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: Oil pump pickup tube brace?

The guy was telling me that valve stem seals tend to get sucked up into the pump and cause premature pump failure because of it. I will probably give the penny idea a try why not? this guy's worked on cars for a living since the 60's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode