What stall converter should I use?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM
HiPoSped

What stall converter should I use??

After much debate and research, I've made up my mind to buy an A O Dominator for my truck. It's much less work than swapping to a ZF 5 speed, and I still have overdrive so it's better than a C6. Right now I have bassicaly a stock 302 with carb, intake, headers, cam. Now that I'll have a trans that will be able to hold up to some power. I'm going to run twin turbos with MAF injection. I won't even be able to start on the motor for probably another 6 months to a year, so my questions is, what stall converter should I use? Could I get away with buying the one I'll want for my twin turbo setup? Or should I get one to work with what I have now, and buy a different one when I get my new motor done?

A O Dominator... http://www.transmissioncenter.net/AOD.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 04:20 AM

Re: What stall converter should I use??

To know what you need we need more info such as gear ratio, tire size, cam size etc.. I would run a c/6 before an AOD any day but thats just me...... You really aren't going to want much of a stall speed if you are going to run a twin-turbo setup because turbo's spool when you have a load on the engine.. if it revs up to 2/3k before it takes off how are you going to have a load to produce boost??? Also if this is a 4x4 a higher than 2k stall speed can be a royal pita to control offroad and has bad street manners. If you are doing all this it sounds like gas mileage isn't really that much of an isue so go get a C6 they are cheaper than an AOD you can get a lot more stuff for them and the aftermarket parts are alot cheaper. A properly built c6 will withstand 500+ ft lb of tourque no problem. Also remeber when you run a higher stall speed you generate ALOT higher fluid temp's so make sure you run a good external cooler NOT the one in your radiator. In my opinion those things are crap for a tranny. Do what norm did and use your factory tranny cooler for a power stearing cooler thats about all they are good for. Many an automatic have been burned up do to faulty factory coolers.... One more thing if you were running an engine other than a 302 you wouldn't need twin turbo's [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] why not a 5.0 H.O. swap??? anybody ever tried that?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:27 AM

What's a dominator? It sounds like you are building a High horsepower Mustang rather than a truck. Why don't you save some money with all the mechanical/electrical gizmos and buy/build a bigger motor than the wimpy 302? I'm not meaning to sound mean it's just cover the bases before throwing all that money away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:52 AM

Wimpy 302? [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

J/K...What up Norm? I just priced a EFI 460 and a BB 4x4 C6 for my truck, 1,000 for the motor and 500 for the tranny. I was thinkin' instead of spending 1,500-1,800 to get the AOD rebuilt I'd spend the money on a real powerplant. I can get the motor mounts for 100, But have to find out if the 302 wiring harness will fit the 460, I heard the fuel rails/lines will have to be changed. My guess is it will cost me about 2,000 to do it...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 03:14 AM

I'm glad that I am not the only one that thinks 302's are wimpy [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 04:54 PM

I'm just saying for the money he plans on spending he can get a hell of alot more power by starting with something substantial rather than trying to compensate for the lack of cubic inches with all kinds of gizmos. I can see doing what he wants to do on a high rpm car. Trucks are pullers. Turbo Diesel would be nice. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 07:19 AM
HiPoSped

Did I ask if I should replace my motor with a big block? I have my reasons for doing the things I am. And I don't think I should have to explain myself to anyone. So stop trying to tell me I made a bad choice. You have no idea how I'm going to use my truck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:55 AM

Just trying to help. Spend away Bucko. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 03:17 AM

I think I hear crickets. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 02:50 PM

I'd have to agree. THis guy wants to waste a bunch of money on somthing that won't be worth a crap in a 4x4 . The parts for the build would cost more than a good BIGGER engine that had more power to begin with. What good is 400hp if you have to rev the engine to 7000rpm to use it? and with no low speed tourque at all. Why not a mildly build 460 with 300hp and 500+ ft lbs of tourque at LOW rpms say about 3000rpm??? wouldn't that make alot more sense? last longer? be more economical? and better for a truck?? Now if I had all this go fast crap laying around for a 302 i could maybe see doing this...but i'd just sell it all and buy a 460...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode