info on running gear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

info on running gear

I'm looking for a good sorce, on info for ford running gear, what engine fits what trany, what tran fits what t-case, running gear ID, etc... Thanx for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:22 AM

Re: info on running gear

You need to narrow it down. What exactly are you looking to do?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Yah I guess I could have just said what I'm looking for. I've got an 89 f350 crew cab 4x4, 351, auto 4spd, B/W t-case, dana 60 front, sterling rear. What I want to do is swap in a 460, I have a carbed 460 from a buddy and want to put that in and run a manual trans with the granny first, probably a 4spd eh? All of this and I'd like to use my existing t-case so I don't have to mess with drive shafts. I would imagine a 5 speed from around the same year would be the easiest but not sure if you can get one with the low first gear, 6:1 or so. Any help or ideas on this would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 PM

They made a F350 with a 351W? You have got to be kidding me. I'm not doubting your word. I just can't believe they would underpower the 1 ton truck. The 460 will fit in there nicely. I know that theres a company that makes a motor mount kit that will work for you but I can't remember the name right now. (L&L maybe?) I'd buy the engine, transmission, and T case all as one unit. I'm not much familiar with the manual trannys. But I do know that you want to go 1 ton with your truck. I forget the name of the tranny everyone was makin noise about here a while back. Zepher? Somebody help me here.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:51 PM

The ZF 5 speed came in 250's and 350's. Also has a granny gear, but they aren't cheap.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Yah, 351, pretty sad eh? Got to be one of the worst engines I've ever had in a Ford, gets about 10 mpg on the highway, 8 or so with my 36's on, power kinda sucks too. So if I was to find a zf 5spd will it work with the carbed 460 and my t-case? I wouldn't think they changed the bell housing? The 460 is out of a 77 p/u. Oh yah what's the deal with the internal/ external balanced 460's, the '77 was an automatic, if anything what would I have to do?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:25 AM

Ahhh the 460!! best v8 ford ever made! prepare for lots of tourque and better economy!! First thing you need to do is throw away the holley and buy a 750 edelbrock...ohhh sorry back to your swap.. if its any help to you the 460 shares bellhousing's with the 351m,400m and 429. they put 400's in some of the early 80's trucks so you MIGHT be able to use a bellhousing from one of them and possibly the hydraulic clutch assy. BUT it would be MUCH easier to just change over to a c/6.. in most cases i am not for an auto over a stick but it sounds easier with what you want to do. You will never ever need a granny gear with the 460 and if you were to have a slip off the right foor i see twisted driveshafts... a good c6 will take a beating and work nice behind a 460. the ZF is really nice but look at spending ALOT of money to get one. expecially with a 460 bolt patern. As for 351w in a f-350?? why not? i saw a 92/93 f-350 with a 300 and a ZF guy was pulling about a 35' horse trailer with it. said it had 5.13 gear and came from the factory with that setup. said the MPG was terrible but it pulled good.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yep, i've even seen 302's in f-350's, all sad but true. If the 351 got better milelage I'd probably put up with the power or try to get more power from it but the 460 is something I can get for free. I use to have a 2wd 77 with the 460 and got 14-16 mpg on the highway towing a 20' camper trailer. Ok so if I gave up the manual trans idea would the the auto I have now, the E4OD, be just as good for strength as the C6, and would the C6 bolt up to my t-case. The 460 is stock with the original 4bbl, at the most I'd go with a little more torque cam, headers for sure, and the carb upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1361416-89crewcab.JPG (52.1 KB, 7 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:20 PM

unless it's got a removable bellhousing I'd say no. I think the C6 is probably one of the best autos ever made to go behind the ford engine. I've heard that a 700R off a chebby beats it in stock form but both trannys can be upgraded to overcome whatever weakness it came with stock. In other words they are both good trannys but only the C6 will bolt up without an adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode