What I've Been Up To The Last Few Weeks... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

What I\'ve Been Up To The Last Few Weeks...

Last few weeks I've got some more done on my build..

Here is the best way I've found to pull an engine out of a lifted truck.

Gonna get all this cleaned up and painted while its apart.

Here is when I started tearing everything apart.

Here is what it looks like after cutting the ridge, honing, and several hours of scrubbing scraping and painting.

I just finished putting the crank and pistons back in. Waiting on my cam,lifters,rockers and pushrods to arive ups and I will be done. So far not been to expensive I hope to get good results out of it.. This is what I have in it.

New clutch,throw out bearing,pilot bearing and pressureplate and flywheel re-surfaced $85
Sealed Power/Felpro/Federal Mogul Rebuild Kit $135
Melling High-Volume Oil Pump $35
New Stock Cam $19 ebay
New Sealed Power Lifters $18 ebay
Chevy 250 Rocker Arms (1.7 ratio for 300) $28 ebay
Hardened Push Rods $18 ebay
New Water Pump $19
New Thermostat $8
Rebuilt The Carb already..

Total: $365

Probably spend a bit more before I am done on new wires,plugs,cap & rotor, Oil, filter etc. But considering I think its not bad at all for the limited amount of $ invested! I am hopping it works out good. I've talked to a few people running the chevy 250 rockers and i've heard good things about them. Been trying to keep the whole project cheap and so far so good. I only had about $200 in the truck before i started on the engine and have new exaust system and new brake hoses on it. My goal is to have a good dependable trail/street 4x4 for under $1000 Still need to find some 16" wheels i've got some good 16" tires i traded for but I am running 16.5" wheels right now. Might not be real exciting but I thought the other poor sob's like me out there might find it interesting.. Should be cheap to operate I was getting 14/15mpg before the rebuild and it was running pretty crappy. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Re: What I\'ve Been Up To The Last Few Weeks...

Way to go jacob !

Now that's on target budget wise. the only thing I'd have done differently is maybe pay to have the cylinders bored out properby a machine shop and pop for the oversized pistons.

Whose doing the valve job ? Keep up the good work

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:39 PM

Good job man. My rebuild cost me arround $600. I rehoned the cylinders myself and slapped it back together with new gaskets and a new cam. Believe me I know what it's like running on a budget. My project is stretching longer than a year now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Wow Norm has it been that long?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 AM

yep. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

I thought about boring it but when i tore it down the cylinders where not scored and the pistons still fit tight. had a bit of a ridge so i just cleaned up the pistons cut the ridge and honed it myself. If it would have been loose fit on the pistons i would have gone ahead and bored it and got some flat-tops. from what i understand 400 pistons are almost identical. as for the head i was supprised to find somone had replaced it (it had a felpro gasket) and it was in excelent shape other than the valve stem seals being shot so i've pulled all the valves(marked them of course) and wire brushed the hell out of it with my drill and wire brushing the valves and seats then going to use lapping compound to polish up the seats a bit. clean it all up and put it back together. I checked the deck and head for trueness with my framming square. Everything seems pretty good. the crank journals and bearings were in excelent shape with very limited wear. they were not even discolored. I'm thinking that the 98k the odometer reads is probably true. I would probably have done more but I am wanting to get this thing on the road this month so I have a 4x4 for the winter..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the other reason i know the head had been changed was the fact that it is a smog head on a non-smog engine. I am buying some brass plugs for the air tubes instead of what they had which looks like various lengths of old head bolts that had the same thread pattern.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:56 AM

Sounds like your bores were good

and as long as you're lapping the valves into the seats you'll be fine. The seals will help if the guides are good.

Bet you can't wait to get her running.

Sixlitre
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Nope the only thing holding me up is the arival of my drivetrain parts. Lifters came in today. I've got the whole week of thanksgiving off work so that will be a good time to put the engine back in.. I need to hit the salvage yard for some front turb bulb sockets, seat belts,mirrors and a front driveshaft(mine is about 3" to short). Also replacing all the brake lines on the frame, already replaced the brake hoses. Might look for a crown-vic electric fan setup too.. I here they are just the right size..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode