Emissions question (and oh gawd, tires again!) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 PM
abrrox

Emissions question (and oh gawd, tires again!)

Hey guys. I've searched through my shop manual and this isn't covered, so... 1980 Bronco with 351.

That thinge that runs from the exhaust header to the air intake tube... what the hell is that? Well, mine busted. And I figure since it's emissions crap(?) to pump exhaust back into the air intake, if I just cap it off, so be it and I'm done. Is there any reason not to do this? Power, mileage? Emission are not tested where I live.

Also, ANOTHER 35" tire question. My 1980 Bronco is stock and sits on 30 by 9.5 by 15" tires. However, the tire is actually only about 28.5" tall, maybe 29" when spanking new. Okay fine.

The top of the wheel well from the ground is 33" tall and the wheel well is 33" across.

Okay, so, assuming a 35" tire is really about 34", if I divide that by two (for the tire above and below the centre of the hub), I get 17". Well, from the centre of the hub to the wheel well in all directions, is about
18.5" (sitting on my 30"s) . Thus, 35" tires would clear with about 1.5" in all directions. Is this right, or crazy? And if right, would it be bottoming out a ton? I don't use this truck to 4WD off road per se, but I do haul a lot and two a lot.

Thanks everyone for any advice!

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 AM

Re: Emissions question (and oh gawd, tires again!)

Sounds like thats the tube that just runs heat up to your air intake off your manifolds for cold weather.. Not really needed on a v8.. is it made off real thin flexible crap thats not much thicker than foil and falling apart? if so don't worry about it.. 35's on a stock bronco??? lots of trimming needed or you will be getting into your fenders when your suspension flexes... As for hauling/towing your MPG and power will go down the toilet with 35's. The underpowered smog engines of the early 80's are wimpy enough as it is. Stick with 31's if you never offroad much hell get 32's if its important to get a bigger tire to you. Once you add wieght to the back 35's will be into your fenders. Besides a set of 31x10.50 General Grabber MT's will take you anywhere that you should ever go with a stock bronco. Probably a few places you shouldn't. Plus the MPG and power won't suffer. I would never go any higher than 33's on a daily driver with stock engine. And i'd never go over 36" on anything. I think 36" is that thin line between were its practical and looks cool but is pointless. Sure we all wish we could run 44" boggers but your gonna have to have dana 60's 4.56's or 5.13's and a 460 to have any fun with em' not to mention they cost a fortune.... As i said it looks cool but is pointless.. Lift to tire size makes a big diffrence when you pick wheels and tires. I hate when people lift somthing 8" and put 33's on it.. That looks so stupid. I'd say if you want your truck to look cool and work good.

235-75's/31x10.50's Stock
33" 4" suspension lift.
35" 6" suspension lift.

Unless you own a highboy and then you can run a 35" tire without doing anything to it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:55 PM

Your are hurtin my feelins Jake. lol. It is important though that he mentioned Daily Driver. My truck is going to be for wheelin and bad weather only. (I plan on making a set of chains for the monster too.) Anyway I agree with Jacob. Throw some 33's on there and you should be fine. As you've found out alot of brands will round up there tire sizes. The only brand I know of that sells what it advertises (or damn close) is Interco aka Super Swamper. I wouldn't recomend these on a daily driver either. 35's on a stock chassis can and has been done but it's either done with alot of cutting or 3" of body lift and some cutting. The thing to remember is that you need the monsters to clear under flex and consider how they will rub against the radius arms, ect. To do what you are talking about you will want to run steeper gears. 4.56's are good for 35's with a 3 speed auto (C6) and figure out how to get the clearance you need. If this is for offroad then I'd recmend a rear locker while you've got everything else apart. Have a trained mechanic knowledgable in how to install gears do this. Once you get into it it can get quite expensive. Simple solution: (Like Jacob said) Throw some 33s on it. You will lose some power but that can be made up for some by putting a 351Cleveland timing chain on it which will advance it like 4 degrees. Lots to think about. Take Care. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:48 PM
abrrox

Okay, guys, thanks. I appreciate the information - on both topics. That's why I always come down here for advice... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:22 AM

Sorry to hurt the feelings there norm [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just hate seeing people put huge tires on a daily driver and piss money and gas down the toilet on somthing they aren't happy with.. f250+460+(properly tuned)750edelbock+headers+3" Duals+c-6+4.10's+6"lift+36" Thornbirds=15mpg....Fun....Looks! Still not a good daily driver but thats what i ran for 2 years.. Thats what I am hopping to get back to with the one I am building now one day......For now small tires and a 300 will just have to do.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 PM

Your sayin I'm gonna have to run a blower aren't you. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:14 AM

naah....should be alright if you ever get your q-jet done [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hey i saw a bunch of those 4 hole adapters on ebay cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode