Looking into buying a bronco... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Looking into buying a bronco...

Saturday I am going to go look at a 90 bronco. If its as good as described I am going to buy it. Here is what I know. Its a 5.0/5speed/AC/cruise/tilt/CD 98k miles stock suspension and everything else for $4200 supposed to be in A-1 condition. The price is right at retail (on a lot) but one reason I am very interested in it is, that It is the same place I bought my car (which i have 4 payments left on) and they will sell it to me 0 down and payoff what I owe on the car plus sell it to me at the same payment I am already making... Anyway... What things do I need to look at on this? any common bronco problems? I've never owned one (always wanted one though..) Just let me know if there is anything inpeticular to look for.. I am not real crazzy about a 302 but with a 5speed i wouldn't think it would be to bad...Plus I am sure you can get some aftermarket for the engine. I am not looking for somthing to do hardcore wheeling with mainly just a daily driver. Probably go to 31x10.50's and no lift. Maybe some engine upgrades (remove the cats,duals,K&N). I did have them give me the axle code off the door H9 which from what I can tell would be 3.55ls. What kind of mileage would I get out of it with stock size tires and 3.55's? I would be happy with 16+ I drive mostly highway and average 100 miles a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Re: Looking into buying a bronco...

Jacob

This came up over at the other forum so I'm gonna paste the post I just replied to over there and then add to it underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacknar
1986, First year of 50 state EFI. Last year of that body style.

Best year Bronco ever, mine went 480,000 before needing major EFI harness rebuild.

This is gospel, listen to this man

This is a great compromise year that has most of what you want and very little of what you don't want IMO.

There have been some great points made here and Accesories man said it well. The 78-79 are great offroad vehicles but lack OD for mileage and creature comforts. They do not make great daily drivers.

Conversely the 92-96s have a lot of creature comforts, but remain the most expensive to purchase and the front frame rail shocks limit you as does the legality of roof top removal.

The 88-89s had two year only unique hub combinations and this style (87-91) saw a lot of mandated saftey features hoisted on it, as well as the first of the electronic ($$$$) transmissions near the end of the run. IMO they were the least attractive styling wise (87-91) with those big ungainly headlight lenses.

The 80-86 group was the longest run sheet metal wise (7 model years) and body parts are dirt cheap for them right now. You still get the real, replacable $5 headlights too. True the 80-82s shared a lot of drivetrain parts with the 78-79, and the 85-86s shared a lot of underhood technology with the later Broncos(not a bad thing).

The 86 IMO gives you fuel injection, OD, reasonable creature comforts (if you get an Eddie Bauer) while not saddling you with those later front bumper troubles of the 92s and up or the top removal legalities and they have a really good looking front end (IMO).

The only drawback that bothers me about my 86 is that it didn't come with an EFI 351, just the EFI 302.

One more ar$eh#le's opinion

Sixlitre

As for mileage you're better off with an EFI 302 than a 351 IMO. Forget the 31s for everyday commuting if you want the est mileage. I've hit as high as 22.5 mpg on the hwy, but normally average around 16-18mpg comutting at 70+ mph and 1/4 of downtown low speed grinding(and I have 3.55s with stock 235/75/15s).

With a K&N, MSD coil and optomized ignition and much better than stock exhaust I do very well mileage AND performance wise.

The price seems a little steep for a 15 year old Bronco. I bought my 86 Eddie Bauer in very good condition when it was 12 for only $2500 American.

Hope this helps you out

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 06:07 PM

You NEED 6" of lift 4.56s (really cool with the OD) Detroit rear and 35's. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the bronco saturday... Total dissapointment.. They told me A-1 condition well B-S! After getting up early (i work second shift) and driving an hour and a half, It was so crummy I didnt even test drive it. I was afraid I wouldnt make it back to the car lot it was that bad!!! The only good thing was it had a 5 speed!! Ran horrible interior was screwed up had zero options(they said AC/CD/Tilt/Cruise) well they lied!!! Not only that the front tires had wires sticking out of them and the passenger side wheel was leaning inword VERY badly.. The stupid engine idled at about 2k and every time you'd rev it up it wouldn't rev back down for about 5 seconds... plus you could see where it had been blowing oil and they tried to clean it up.. I guess i am just going to have to settle for an Auto bronco which is not at all what I want.. Expecially with a 302.. They are wimpy enough as it is. Everytime I drive somthing with a 302 I get back in my 250k EFI 300 f-150 and it feels like a race car.. Why couldn't they make a 302 EFI that actually had some power anyway? The 5.0 mustangs were awesome because they had better fuel injection, better cam, Better exaust system and better intakes.. Why couldn't they have used the same stinking engines in trucks and bronco's??? They would have sold ALOT more trucks that way.. I've not been at all impressed with any of the EFI ford trucks I have drove except a 94 i looked at. And I believe it had a slightly diffrent fuel injection system or somthing i dunno..Maybe MAF? well enough EFI v8 bashing... Sorry guys.. They did such a good job with the 300 EFI MAJOR MAJOR improvment over the carb'd motor. Yet the EFI v8's don't really seem to be that much of a improvment (performance not MPG) over the 2bbl carb versions.. EFI 460's really dissapointed me.. Ford ruined that engine... Maybe they wanted everyone to start hating all the 'GOOD' engines before they introduced the stupid gay module engines... I HATE 4.6's and 5.4's!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright enough of this... I've probably started an argument here. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 11:04 AM

If you are willing to take a drive to memphis I can get you a 79 in truely A-1 shape for just under $2k.......blue with white stripe, 32s, very little rust........
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Don't settle for something you don't want. Have patience. A good deal will come along.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

As much as I would LOVE a 79' (looks 100,000,000 times better!!!! and MADE BETTER!!!! 9"/d44 NOT TTB) I just downright couldn't afford the MPG since I really need a daily driver.. I need somthing that will get at least 15mpg [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] If I didn't have my 76' f-250 I'd jump right on a 79' Bronco. Those are by far the best years for looks and durrability if you ask me. But I figure 1 gas hog in my driveway is enough. Though considering 4.56 gears I was getting 13/15mpg with my 76' before I pulled the motor and it was blowing about a quart of oil every 40/50 miles!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:11 PM

Did I mention a nice running 351M?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

ahhh the 351m AKA tall deck 351c!! a little work and those things will scream!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode