80's era electronics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 10:57 PM
13MWZ

80\'s era electronics

Howdy yall. I was hoping somebody could clear somethin up for me. I like the stylin of the early and mid 80's Broncos but dont care much for computer controled trucks. How much of these trucks is computer controled, if any. Thanks a lot

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 AM

Re: 80\'s era electronics

The idea of going non-computer removes some of the helping hands away from you; however you can make any truck non-computer. Put in an AOD and a carb along with points and you will have no computer or electronics. step up from there to pertronics, Duraspark, aftermarket Throttle Body Injection..... To answer your question, early 80s were fairly computer free (like 80-83).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 03:23 PM

To sway from electronic ignition is just plain stupid IMO. Most all the broncos were carbed untill 85. In 86 the 302 went with Fuel injection. In 87 the 351W followed suit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 03:36 PM
13MWZ

What's so "stupid" about it? My 66 mustang had points ignition and they work just fine. The required a little more maintanance than an electronic ignition. But they still got the job done. However I did swap them for electronic when I put fuel injection on the car.
I dont have anything agains electronic ignition, I just dont want a computer controled truck. Thanks for both of yall's posts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Old Hand

I have a 85 with the 300, carbed. But the dumb thing has a computer controlled carb, i hate it. Also has O2 sensor adn duraspark. I woud much rather have a regular carb, i cant ever get this one to run right.
Cant complain too much, she always makes it enen wioht 3,000 lbs of scrap in the bed [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 AM

I have a 66 in the garage, under construction. Bought it for $100. C coded shell (with good Title) with front and rear glass, pass-door, dash wiring (bad), glove box door, and in need of front approns and rad support.

Put it on the rottiseri and now .... work I will.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 08:53 PM

I'm with Norm

I've tuned carbs of all description for 25 years and I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV my EFI 302. I'm never going back to a daily driver with a carb, never !

Fix what's wrong (they even tell what's wrong with themselves through codes) and you can't beat EFI.

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode