AOD to ZF swap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:02 AM
HiPoSped

AOD to ZF swap??

Well, I'm on my 3rd rebuild of my AOD in the past 3 years, so I'm looking into other alternatives. The ZF 5 speed is looking pretty good to me right now, but will a 5 speed off a deisel bolt up to my 302??? And more importantly, will it bolt up to my BW1356?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Aprentice

Re: AOD to ZF swap??

I am in the same boat as you. I have replaced/rebuilt my AOD 3 times and am waiting for it to go any time now. I don't think the ZF from a diesel will work. Ford made a ZF for their 3/4 ton trucks with a 351 that would bolt right up however these transmissions do have their weaknesses. I am looking into swapping in a NV4500 trans from Dodge with an Atlas trasfer case. Advanced adapter makes a kit that makes the swap possible. Now the only thing I have to come up with is the moner to pay for it all. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If your truck has electronic fuel injection you will want to eventually swap in a computer from a manual truck. It isn't something you have to do right away but someting you will want to keep in mind. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 10:37 AM

Re: AOD to ZF swap??

You can get a gas ZF. For a general guide you can read my swap in my 93 from my web site. The zf will be exactly the same for the 93 and the AOD vs E4OD will be slightly different but mostly the same.

The 1356 will interswap....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 01:50 PM

See....

Remeber I told you guys a few weeks ago AOD's are junk and everyone got mad [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 PM

Re: See....

ROFLMAO!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 12:28 PM

If you put in stock AODs or rebuild them when they should be trashed or use junk-yard ones then yes they are junk. Properly built they rank very high....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 06:36 PM

I've never heard any trash talk about Ford's C6 (other than no OD). Ford should have built it right the first time so it wouldn't have to be rebuilt.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 01:39 AM
HiPoSped

Where can I find the parts and how much will it cost me to properly build my AOD? I can do all the work myself.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Aprentice

I believe that Ford Motorsports offers a kit for the AOD and "I THINK" it is in the $600 range.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:31 AM
HiPoSped

I searched around a little more, and $1600 is more like it. If I spend the money and time to rebuild this thing. I want to do it right, and not have to do it over again. I could to it for around $1000 but that means I'd have to do without the wideband gearset. But that 2.84:1 first and 1.55:1 second is much better than the stock AODs 2.40:1 and 1.47:1. At least in my opinion. Plus it comes with a wider OD band. I guess it's time to start saving. Hopefully I'll have a truck again before christmas. My girlfriend's gonna hate me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode