Radius Arm Bushings ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Radius Arm Bushings ???

Ok this is a little off topic since its on a 2wd. But does anyone have any hints one the best/easiest way to replace radius arm bushings on a 2wd f-150 ??? I've heard some really vauge stuff about using a come-along to pull the I beam forward and somthing about torching the rivets on the radius arm bracket and replacing them with grade 8 bolts when done. I am pretty sure the bushings are shot since I have 250k and they are original. Have noticed its kinda harsh up front when you hit a bump and has a clunk if you turn left a bit sharp. Also clunks when you are appying the brakes at almost a stop. Also when you release the brakes and start taking off. Also noticed you can feel every little bump in the road in the stearing wheel. Just put new shocks all-around and has about 2k on new tires. I am pretty darn sure this is the problem but I have never replaced them before and would like to know what I am getting into. The haynes book basicly says to dissasemble the whole front suspension I am sure that there is a quicker/easier way to do this. Any help would be appreceated. Again sorry for the post in Offroad forum hell maybe some people take there 2wd off road [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:01 PM
esm

Re: Radius Arm Bushings ???

As I had replied to you on the other forum, you just chisel off the rivets of the bracket and replace them with 1/2" bolts. No need to pull the axle forward. Easy as pie!

Ed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:01 PM

Chisel my eye! What a royal PITA. My first choice: torch. Second choice cut the head off with a cutting blade on a grinder and try and punch the rivit through. If it doesn't go then drill the center out of the rivit and try punching it out again. Repeat with bigger drill bits/hammers untill achieved result is acquired. I don't know how much play your beams have. If you have some play then you could press it forward with your legs (use tire as a base to push off of untill you can get the radius arm out of the bracket. Having done this before I'd recomend just getting it done with and getting rid of the rivits. This will make it a hell of alot easier to lift too should prerunner time come. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Veteran

Being your from indiana, not sure how much rust has accumulated on the bolts BUT as the haynes recommends disassembling (just removing the coil-spring, etc) is probably the easiest way i have found. i have done both my 4wd &2 wd and with a little penetrant for the twin beam mounting bolts, was a piece of cake. I tried pulling the axle foward on my 4wd bronc, but wouldn`t cooperate [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 02:47 AM

Oh yeah! Don't be muscling the thing around with the coil still mounted. I forgot about that.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm... here is what I have to work with... I have an air chisel I have a air cutoff tool I have a electric angle grinder and I have a air drill and of course an electric. So torching is going to be hard to do unless I find somone to do it for me. (i wish i had a cutting torch......) As for rust I'd say it would deffinately be easier to get the brackets off considering everything looks rusty down there. I've put the poor thing throgh a few crappy winters Which I am hoping to avoid ever doing again since its totaly sucks in the snow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:29 PM

It sounds like you have what you need to get the job done. Watch your thumbs!!! I learned that the hard way when I was doing my shackle flip. OUCH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode