351 timing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:22 PM
scottyhallman

351 timing

Ok guys...I got the new edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb installed today. Now the engine will not run. it starts if i hold the accelerator to the floor but never gets above 500rpm's. I think the timing is off but i need some clarification. According to the hanes manual the engine should be at TDC and the rotor should point to the #1 contact in the distributor. This is what I did and It doesn't run. Edelbrock says to put it at 5 deg. before TDC and the rotor shouild point at #1 contact. Who is right and can anyone give me any tips on how to finish this up so I can enjoy all that new power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 PM

Re: 351 timing

That should get it started but you are going to have to play with the distributor to get it where you want it. Check for Vacuum leaks. (Unconnected vacuum lines, ect). If it wasn't starting at all I'd try turning it 180 degrees. But that doesn't seem like your problem. Line everything up again making sure #1 is a TDC and make sure your dist. is where you think it is. I'll post more if I can think of anything. Don't give up. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:00 PM

Assuming you're not one tooth out when you put the dist back in, then you should get the sucker running, hook up a vacuum gauge to the manifold and twist the dist until you get the highest vacuum reading.

Once you've attained that, say 18 lbs for instance, then back off a hair and tighten the dist. That ought to get you in the ballpark.

Then, do the same thing as you back in/out the idle mixture screws to get the highest vacuum reading. Again back off the screws a hair once you've reached the highest reading.

After I'm up and running, I use this on my Mopars and it works great getting me dialed in specifically to my vehicle needs;

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:06 PM

What year bronco is it? if its a post 80 you have probably replaced a electronic carb and have an new style ignition setup. if this is the case you need to switch to a vac advance distributor and maybe a few other parts. Not to sure on what all you would need. Have ran into the same problem on chevys before and had to change the distributor out. Also make sure you don't have any major vacuum leaks anywhere this also could be the case. Are you bolting the carb directly to the intake or running an adapter plate? an open adapter plate will cause this problem. If you do run an adapter run a 4 hole adapter since you most likely are running a dual plan intake manifold which won't work right with an open adapter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 PM
scottyhallman

Thanks for everyones help. I finally got the timing right. Had to set the crank at 5deg BTDC and rotor at #1 plug. Runs good now I just need to tweek this edelbrock carb until I get it just right. The difference in power is night and day. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode