Tire Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:03 PM
BroncoWar

Tire Questions

I am getting ready to upgrade my 90 bronco and I am wondering what the "best" sizes of tires would be. I would like to do a put on a 35, but would it rub at all? I don't really know much about tired and wheels so I am asking the ones that know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:04 PM

Re: Tire Questions

If you want bigger tires(i assume you are running 235-75-15) and you want somthing that will fit your stock suspension and you dont want to sink a fortune into it go get some 31x10.50x15's they will fit stock and look alot better and price wise are cheap! 33x12.50's will fit with some minor fender trimming 35" tires are going to require a major hack job to fit without hitting anything and no lift. If you want to run 33's and a lift get a 3" or 4" i'd say go 6" with 35's to really take advantage of them and not have to trim anything. You might consider a 2 or 3" body lift and 33's body lifts are very inexpensive.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:09 PM

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
My dad has 33's on his 86 F150 and they rub the radius arms at full lock. I haven't had any rubbing yet off road either but the stock sway bars are still attatched. It's primarilly the family beater, not a wheeler, else everyone here knows half the bed would be gone as well as the major hack job as described. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
BroncoWar

Thanks, I think I am going to be putting a 6" lift then 35's on it. Would I have to trim any? And also what tires would you guys recomend for 3/4 highway/street and 1/4 hardcore offroading?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:19 PM

A 6" kit will clear 35's easilly. Since your asking for overall performance I'll say that the Goodyear MTR is awsome offroad with good street characteristics. I'd also say look for people who are looking to sell there old lifts since alot of people want to upgrade to a solid front axle thus doing away with the necesity of their old lift. Here is a good place to look. Also check out the classified link here.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 AM

If you put alot of road miles on it I wouldn't go over 33's. Consider the MPG loss and power loss if you don't change out the gears. Expecially if you have a 302!! 302 is weak enough as it is!. I was looking at a 92f150 with 302/auto/31x10.50's and it was pretty damn wimpy. Consider this when going with bigger tires a gear swap might be in order also. Also consider the bigger the tire the more likely you are going to break things with a 1/2ton drivetrain.. I had a 1/2 ton chevy(back when i was young and stupid) with 35's and 4.11 gears and I couldn't keep the damn thing on the road always was breaking stuff and never wheeled it very hard. The only thing I didn't tear up was the front axle. Wen't through 3 rear ends and 2 tranny's lots of U-joints several driveshafts and lots of wheel bearings. I will never run big tires on a 1/2 ton again!! even though fords are far superior to a chevy. I'd stick 31x10.50x15's on it or 33x12.50's max. Just my opinion. 33's with a small lift look just as good as 35's with a bigger lift. 33's however would look wimpy with a 6" lift. 4" would be alot better looking if thats what you are going for. never mind enough of my rambling...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 AM
BroncoWar

Hmmm... I may go with what you said then. 33" with just a 4" lift. Thanks a lot for the input [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 01:43 PM

33" tires are much cheaper also. I recommend General Grabber MT's I've had 2 sets over the years and they are very inexpensive and wear good. Very good off road also and nice on the pavement. Don't go big-o whatever you do they are a big waste of money. Swamper TSL Radials are great but also expensive..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 04:00 PM
BroncoWar

Just to say it, I have a 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer, Full Size, 5.8; 351 w/ short headers

It's all stock right now except for the cd player and cb radio.

I was luckly and I picked it up for $1200, the guy was some drug addict and he wanted money for some more dope or whatever, after I got it in my name, he wound up hitting jail and yeah... Pretty good <nobr>truck</nobr> for what it is; actually it is pretty awesome.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Old Hand

Do you have the C6 (3 speed) [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]or the over dirve tranny. C6 will hod up much better to a beatin.

as for tires, I had 31s on what looked like factory 15x8s on my 2wd 150 and they just barely cleared , it would hit the ft bumpstop and the top of tire would clear fender by 1/4" but thats all ya need.
On 4x4s i had 35s on 15x10s with just a 3"bod lift no prob, and on another truck a 4" suspension lift no problem.
I would run 33s on hte stock wheels, if it hits the bumper shim it out or trim it. Can also always get 2" coils [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]or spacers for a cheap lift&amp; a million times less work than a 4" kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode