Toasted Tranny?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:09 PM
ZepZepplin

Toasted Tranny??

Hey folks, I have a 95 F-150 <nobr>4x4</nobr> with a 302 and an automatic (not sure if it is E40D or that 4R7W0 (something like that). Anyways, I took off today and it wouldn't shift out of second, when it got to the point where it should have been third, it just kind of went into this high idle, until I gave it gas and it revved up until it went back to second, and I was screaming along. I shut the <nobr>truck</nobr> off and started it back up, and the tranny seemed ok, it went into third. I put it in park and I could hear this kind of clicking noise from about the front of the tranny. I shut it off and waited awhile, then when I drove it again it did the no third gear, and when it was in gear the check engine light would come on and go off. Is the tranny toasted? Also do you guys know approximately how much it would cost to rebuild this hog?? Thanks for your time!!

P.S. I checked the fluid, it was full, pink and didn't smell burned at all. It was changed approx. 6000 miles ago, and the truck hasn't been abused or used to tow anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Toasted Tranny??

Yep, E4OD... probably an electrical problem that can hopefully be fixed cheaply. First step would be to pull the codes and see what the computer says is wrong and go from there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 07:36 AM

Do what Muddy says

and also check and maybe flush the internal rad cooler as that's been the problem a lot lately over at the other forum.

Several guys had to do costly total rebuilds to theirs and quite a few of them tracked down crap in the internal rad cooler as the source of the trouble (though yours seems to have clean fluid).

Hope it works out and if it does take it as a wake up call and think seriously about one of these plumbed in-line to your external cooler.

and a seriously larger cooler too. Both are cheap insurance compared to rebuilding a trans.

Sixlitre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 07:46 AM

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 06:17 PM

What size of drill and tap and die did you use Malcolm?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 AM

The Codes you pull can give you a hint of what is wrong however it sounds like you have a stuck valve in the valvebody or one of the sylinods in the pack has gone bad. No burnt fluid means your clutches are still mostly intack, but you could have a front drum band issue.

Most tranny shops will do a check for free but it looks like a rebuild is foract. Bench jobs are about $900 and complete R&amp;R is about $1300-1500.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Is it possible to swap a c/6 or c/4 into a newer rig if a person didnt care about OD wouldnt that be better? I know that the AOD's are junk but haven't heard to much about the newer auto's.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:14 PM

Hey Norm

Good to hear from you. I just used plain old, easy to get 5/16" UNC-18 (course thread)tap, right into the frame.

Sixlitre
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:05 PM

As for the E4OD, there is not a direct swap. All require new crossmembers and different driveshafts. Linkages will be different. Having said this, they will bolt in. For the time and cost I wouldn't change out to save $1000. It will cost you that much in time and money.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM

Lets make sure what transmission you have before we assume its an E4OD.

If your crossmember curves forward you have the 4r70w
14 bolts in the pan is 4r70w

If your crossmember goes straight across you have E4OD.
20 bolts in the pan is e40d.

Otherwise I agree with checking the codes and that it is probably something electrical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode