F250 for plowing and general work, what to get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

F250 for plowing and general work, what to get?

Ok guys, this is what i'm looking to do.....

Over the next year or two I plan to finish my Jeep project, money permitting. Currently my main vehicle is a 93 F150 short bed, 4.9liter 5spd 4X4. I like the truck alot, but when I bought it I wanted it as a general purpose truck. This time I'm going for something a little more rugged. I'd like to plow with it, and tow on occasion.

I think my budget will be around $4-6K and I'd like a 92 or newer. Here's what I was thinking - F250 4X4 5spd. Diesel (dunno the diesel engine sizes)

Is this a good idea up here where it gets colder than a witches you know what. I'd be able to plug it in of course. I know diesel run forever, and they've got good power, plus the fuel is cheaper.

Sorry for the long post, I'll cut it off for now, gimme any input you've got because when I get ready I want to buy the best truck I can for what I wanna do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Re: F250 for plowing and general work, what to get?

you propbably wont find a 4wd turbo diesel for the price you want to pay.
as soon as you say turbo, guys jack the price up.
93 is the crossover year between turbo and non turbo, then 94,5 they went to the powerstroke turbo.
all the same engine.... just different fueling in the powerstrokes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

am I jumping the gun on the Diesel thing. Maybe I'd be just as well giong with a V8, but it seemed to me that a diesel would be awful nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: F250 for plowing and general work, what to get

Zach is right, any truck that meets all your criteria is likely going to be a POS, and rebuilding a powerstroke would get expensive in a hurry. To be perfectly honest, in your situation I'd probably get a 3/4 ton Chebby with the Vortec 350. An F250 would work too and likely be cheaper, but they won't get the gas mileage of a 95+ 350. My real preferance would be a 92-97 F350 reg cab with the 351, ZF 5 spd, and D60 front end, but those are hard to find in non-dually non-quad cab around here. I see them, but their owners seem to be very happy with them [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:04 AM

i would hosetly get the 351w engine, and forget about the diesel unless you want to really tow with it... i have alarge 25' trailer hooked to the back of my truck almost 2-3 days of a 7 day week..... buying a diesel wont pay unless you work it hard..... a gas motor will pull your jeep just fine.... hell, im pulling a 5k trailer(empty trailer wiegh) with a 3,700lb zuk and a 4,000lb TJ on it around with only minor difficulties in my 97 powerstroke.
parts and maintnece on the disel are MAJOPR $$$ compared to a gasser, and when i do break parts while towing out of state, nobody has the parts.... there has already been more than one occasion i had to leghten a trip and stay an extra day due to being able to not find tow rig parts..... it took me 3 days and driving 200 miles to find a TPS for it one day...
parts are a loit more $$ for it. did a TPS for your gas motor cost you $260 like mine did?
and maintence is costly. i do my own oil chnages and it still about $60 per oil change. $17 dollar fitler. about 14 quarts of about $3 a quart oil(buy it by the gallon case...) costs about $45......
empty i onlyget around 18-19 MPG with 3.55 gears, and towing the big traielr with both rigs is where my difference is. with a trailer/truck wiehging in at 21,XXX lbs i am getting 12.5 MPG in 3rd gear...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I just know alot of people around here get real excited about the 7.3 diesel so I wanted to get other opinions. I actually thought about looking into a chevy but I'm just too much of a ford man. If the right chevy came along at the right price I'd take it though, they're good trucks too.

Thanks again!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:13 AM

At least you didn't suggest a Dodge... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] the one thing worse than a chevy... Though I hate to admit those Hemi's are almost tempting....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:54 PM

Wow you have that backwards...Cummins beats Duramax anyday
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Nope, no Dodge for me I like to go off from the paved road on occasion. Although the new dodges do come with those nice tailgate warmers to keep your hands warm in the winter when you're pushing the truck down the road [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 06:12 PM

Dodge FS trucks come from the factory with front 4 link suspension on it's 3/4 and 1 ton models now. Now if they would only install manual lockouts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode