Exhaust Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exhaust Leak

I recently installed headers on my bronco and the pipes leak were the headers bolt to the downpipe (the collector as most call it) I bought gaskets and isntalled them in there, and it still leaks. I then got a new set of gaskets and ordered some locking hardware from stage 8 and it still leaks. I am sure it is not leaking from the head. I can not figure out how to stop this leak and it is driving me nuts, I also need to smog the truck and I know they dont care much for leaks. If anyone has any ideas what to do or use to stop this I would much appreciate it. I have looked and failed to find any moldable gaskets for this application, and I know a make-a-gasket would not be a good idea, but I am out of good ideas. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:04 PM

Re: Exhaust Leak

Broncoboy23

See the gasket in the pic below all the flanges ?

That's a Mr.Gasket Ultraseal header gasket. Get a pair and coat them liberally in Permatex ultra copper high heat gasket goo both sides and bolt it all together.

I've got gaskets like that less than two inches either side of my 3" Cat (which gets hotter than Hades) and they don't leak at all.

Good luck

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks sixliter for the advice, I wasnt sure if using a silicone type sealant was a good idea or not, but I suppose I will try it since nothing else has worked. My collector gaskets are 2 bolt though not 3, but I know where to get those gaskets so it shouldnt be a problem. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 07:47 AM

Not just any sealant, ask for that stuff

My buddy with the Cascar race car uses it and it lasts many races. What does a 2 bolt header look like ?

Are you talking about shorty headers like these;

or full length ones ?

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 06:57 PM

How 2 get the cheap gaskets 2 work.

Another thing you can do if you don't want to spend the $ is soak the paper-type gaskets in water over-night and stick them on while they are still wet tourque the hell out of the bolts. This works great I have done it many times when I didn't have the $ for the good gaskets.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:31 PM

Re: How 2 get the cheap gaskets 2 work.

Does taht really work? Seems the opposite of what I would think considering when you put them in water they swell up then when they dry they shrink. To me that sounds like it would do the opposite, but I don't argue with results - [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:03 AM

An old hot rodder told me that one and I've done it several times and it works great! I did however forget to mention that you need to fire the engine up right after you put them on while they are still soft. They swell when wet and expand filling the gap better when you tourque the hell out of them soft and expanded they seal ALOT better. Then you get the exaust system hot and they get hard as a rock. I've managed to run the paper-type gaskets for a couple years without having them blow out using this method.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 06:15 PM

3" donuts. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:45 AM

I have used the clear GMS ( general motors silicone) to exhust conections many times, works well at seems esp for VW type exhust.
Another thing you may try is a short piece of exhust tubing that fits snug in the collector as a sleeve.
Good luck Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode