Hydraulic Parking Brake? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Hydraulic Parking Brake?

I am tired of not having an E-brake on my rig. The stocker has most the parts missing and they never work worth a crap anyway. I've seen on 1-ton wreckers a hydraulic parking brake where you step on the brake pedal push the button in and it locks all the wheels. What I am wondering is were can you get one of these? are they insanely overpriced or fairly cheap? Or could I just go buy 2 line lock kits and fab my own 4-wheel hydraulic parking brake system with seprate front/rear control? that would be friggin awesome with a twin stick kit for the t-case! Get in a bad spot lock the rear wheels engage the front cut the wheels and do a 180 or visa-versa. I am going to replace all my brake lines soon anyway so any input would be appreceated. PS I HIGHLY RECOMEND REPLACING YOUR BRAKE LINES IF THEY ARE MORE THAN 4/5 YEARS OLD!!! I wrecked my 2wd saturday because a lady slowed down in front of me for somone turning I hit the brakes hear a pop the pedal goes to the floor.... I din't have much time so I downshifted and aimed for the ditch but got to bouncing around lost control slid sideways and clipped her back bumper with the front passenger corner of mine. It scared the HELL out of me!! I had just put new brakes all the way around a few months ago and the metal lines looked pretty good. I thought 91' they have many years before they go bad.. I was wrong! They were not even very rusty at all. The next day I replaced every brake line and hose on the entire truck And I plan on doing it to all my vehicles since my 91 f-150 is the newest thing I own. Others 89' and 76'. If that happened with the 91 I hate to know how bad all my others brake lines are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:04 PM

Re: Hydraulic Parking Brake?

Line locks will work. Check out Pirates. Some guy have done it there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:38 PM

Any brands or models to look for? I know there are electronic and manual ones, which are better? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes but do line locks require electricity all the time to hold or does applyinh 12-volts toggle a valve?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:37 PM

i prefer the manual ones.
they are fairly cheap, but buy the MORE expensive ones, the cheaper ones tend to leak down within a few hours.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Where can you find the manual ones? I've never even seen them before I've just seem electric. Manual would be much better setup for what I want to use them for. Also with having 2 and being able to lock all 4-wheels would be a better anchor for winching (if nothing was available to use to anchor the truck to) and if I had a winch... sigh one day.....As I said though seems like a good time to adress the E-brake issue since I am replacing all the lines. It has new front brake hoses so all I will have to get is the metal lines and the rear hose and whatever to hook up my Hydraulic parking brake system.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 AM

If you are planning on doing this to a street vehicle, which it sounds like you are, you might want to look into your local laws. I'm pretty sure having line locks on a street vehicle is illegal around here. I know that most of the time a cop would never know, but just wanted to make you aware of it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:39 PM

I believe federal law mandates that the emergency/parking brake be mechanically operated and separate from the hydraulic service braking system. Check out the FMVSS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

If it is the law nobody care around here... There are no vehicle inspections or emmisions testing whatsoever and I am glad of it bunch of crap if you ask me. Besides now I have NO e-brake and I think that the hydraulic setup would be MUCH stronger expecialy being able to brake all 4 wheels.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 05:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If it is the law nobody care around here... There are no vehicle inspections or emmisions testing whatsoever and I am glad of it bunch of crap if you ask me. Besides now I have NO e-brake and I think that the hydraulic setup would be MUCH stronger expecialy being able to brake all 4 wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying anyone really cares, I was just clarifying what Beerstalker said. The point being that if you get stopped by a cop that knows anything about machinery you could get cited for having an unsafe vehicle.

BTW, if you want to lock up all 4 corners, you'll have to use 2 linelocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode