Advice Needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Fickle

Advice Needed

I've got a 93 Ford F-150 4x4 with a straight six (4.9L), standard. I was wondering how to tell what kind of axle it has in the front end. My truck is a custom built truck I have been told and I've also been told that its also got all kinds of useless crap on it. Right now I am in the proccess of ripping some of it a part and I want to put some aftermarket manual locking hubs on it. I'm hoping to get all the stuff on it that needs replacing replaced and then hopefully put a lift kit on it and what not. Right now I'm working on the front end, hubs, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, so on and so forth. Any information that anybody could give me on building this truck right would be greatly appreciated. And if you have any good luck with certain parts you've added to your rig I'd also like to know cause I don't want to be putting crappy parts on my truck. Thanks a lot guys, I hope you can help me.

Josh [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:52 AM

Re: Advice Needed

How custom is custom? Does it have a solid front axle? Or is it the stock Twin Traction Beam (TTB) If it has the latter then it's a D44 TTB. If it's solid then it could be anything but more than likely a Dana 44 or 60. Pictures would help a bunch. Custom can mean anything. You need to be more specific.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Fickle

What I mean by custom is that it is a custom built truck from the factory. This is what I was told. They didn't normally put the straight six with a 5 spd transmission. I work with a guy who had the same truck, except its not 4x4, had dual gas tanks, and is a 92. He told me that they had come with a lot of unnecessary parts. At the moment everything on my truck is just as it was when it came out of the factory, its still got all the stock parts on it. I think its got the TTB axle on it cause there are these things attatched to it that look like traction bars, only they are a little smaller than what you'd put on the rear axle. How do you tell if its a dana 44 or 60? Count the splines? and which one is better? What I plan on doing is getting this truck running better, get all the chasis componets replaced that need to be replaced, and then put a 6" lift on it (so drive shaft angles aren't a big deal). The front end needs work, so thats where I'm starting and i want to put aftermarket hubs on it. You may recall some of my other postings about the manual locking hubs slinging grease in the hubs. Any help that you could give me on building this up right would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know what kind of parts I should be running with as i don't want to be putting inferior parts on it and having to do it all over again. If you're gonna do it, you may as well do it right the first time. Thanks again guys.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 AM

?? I've seen ALOT of f150's even a few f-250's in the 88/96 years with 300's (4.9) and a 5-speed! That is a great setup to have I really don't think it was a 'custom' setup. But the automatic was alot more popular tranny. I've seen an 93 f-350 dually with a 300 efi and a 5speed.. I was like WTF? aparently you could get a 300 and a 5 speed in any truck they made around that time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM

You have a stock truck with a 300 strait 6 and a 5 speed tranny. Cool enough but not custom. What did you want to do again. lol? BTW anything coming from Mother Ford is stock unless it comes from the SVO department.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:07 PM

Never knew you could get a dually with a 300...our 94' F-150 has a 300 and a 5-speed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:46 AM

I didn't know that you could eaither untill I saw it. The guy was pulling a huge gooseneck trailer with a tractor on it. He was at the parts store changing out a headlight and I noticed that it had a 300 and stopped and talked to him about it said his grandpa had bought it new like that and it had somthing like 5.13 gears. He said it pulled very well but topped out about 70mph. I don't know if the gears came in it or not but the engine sure looked like a factory job.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 09:10 AM

BTW, I think what he means by "custom" is the package that ford was using back then. They had XLT, XL, and Custom.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:48 PM

Wasn't the custom the most stripped down basic model? I know chevy had the custom deluxe and it was as basic as you could get. I was thinking fords base model was the XL in the 90's but I know ive seen 70's Customs.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 09:53 PM

The Lariat was also a package in the 90's. Customs were the baaic models, but come to think of it, my XLT dash says custom...kinda weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode