Hydraulic clutch on an 85 Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hydraulic clutch on an 85 Bronco

Hey ya guys, my 16 year old got himself an 85 Bronco a couple weeks ago that belonged to my neighbor. Anyway, the thing has had problems with going into gear forever by what my neighbor has said, and I am pretty certain that it is probably the slave cylinder that is causing the trouble and I am wondering if any of you can suggest a swap in hydraulic system that will allow replacement of the individual parts in the future so I won't have to ever remove and replace the slave cylinder and master cylinder and line as an assymbly again? Or is there something else that may be the cause of his troubles? Specificaly speaking, it will grind going into any gear from a dead stop. Clutch seams to be dragging like it's not fully disengaged when you come to a stop sign, enough so that it will stall the truck occasionaly, and problem gets worse as the truck gets warmed up. Shifts fine from gear to gear while moving, but has a DISTINCT and DEFINITE whine in 2nd and 3rd gear but is fine in 4th. Did search but didn't find much that seemed like it was helpfull so figured I'd ask. Any other tips regarding this ford thing would be apreciated as I am a mopar jeep man and don't have huge expierence with ford trucks. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:02 PM

Re: Hydraulic clutch on an 85 Bronco

If you have a hydrolic issue then you will have problems putting it in gear when stoppped, which you indicate. With the clutch seemingly dragging it confirms the clutch issue. I would think that you had a master only issue by the symtoms you give. If you were to push in the clutch the master responds by feeding fluid down a one way tube to the slave, who in turns pushes out the piston to engage the clutch. If the master gives the correct fluid out and the slave does not leak then it will respond normally: therefore if the thing isn't leaking and it is not disengaging then the master is at fault. Remote chance is the pressure plate is bad but I would susspect this if the clutch were not fully engaging which is not your problem.

The whining in gear suggest that the throwout bearing is bad if it is in all gears but you indicated only select gears which indicates internal tranny bearings. Now if it is whining when going into gear then this is normal with the afore mentioned master cylinder fault.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thank you. That reafirms to me that it is an hydrolic issue, whether master or slave, so I will be needing to R&R the system. I was hoping maybe I could scavenge the whole hydraulic system from a newer model or another vehicle, one that has a more user friendly system of parts,from the salvage yard, or aquire thru parts store. Any suggestions, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 04:00 AM

Do you have the external slave cylinder that pushes on the clutch fork? or the internal setup? If you have the internal slave cyl check into buying a rebuild unit from a clutch shop they will sell them alot cheaper than a parts store same with the clutch kit. Sounds like you need to just get a new clutch throwout bearing pilot bearing pressure plate and slave cyl. Then you wont have to worry about it for a LONG time unless your 16 year old abuses it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

It's an 85 and as far as I have read in the manuals all 87 and older came with the external slave, which is why I asked about a swap in unit to replace the "one piece" slave line and master unit. As far as the comment about my 16 year old abusing it [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] he's a 16 year old what more needs to be said [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:46 AM

One piece master cyl and line sounds like the internal slave cyl. At least thats how mine is setup. On the internal you have no clutch fork at all. The line for the clutch runs right through the side of the bellhousing. As for how good they are They can't be that bad because I have 250k on my orginal clutch master cyl. I do however have a new slave because I went to bleed it and it broke in half when I turned the bleeder (stupid pot metal) So I replaced the clutch when I was in there (also was original) this was at about 200k. If I recall the master cyl-line deal is alot cheaper than the slave cyl actualy is. Autoparts stores run about $90 on the slave. But as I mentioned before a clutch shop is ALOT cheaper. Ohh and when you go to take it apart you are supposed to have a so called 'special tool' to take the line off the slave cyl. 2 screwdrivers and a steady hand works fine. Just apply pressure to both sides of the white collar and pull on the line it pops right out. I actualy have a big flat blade screwdrive that had a big chunk out of it so I took the grinder to it and made my own 'special tool' because I helped another guy with his and thought hey why not.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:18 AM

It is not a one piece system. It does separate and can be purchase piece by piece. As far as I know it cannot be sold as a unit. This applys to the internal or external slave systems.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:45 PM

really? I am pretty sure my clutch master cyl and line are all one piece of plastic.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

If it's like the ones I've seen, there is a little roll pin that you can push out that will release the line from the MC. It's probably covered in grease and barely visible, but I bet it's there.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:55 AM

I'll have to check that out wish I would have known that before would have been nice to get that stupid thing out of my way a bit more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode