rear disc brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

rear disc brakes

I have a rear Ford 9" big bearing 31 spline pickup axle, I was curious about converting to discs. Someone told me that I could rob all the components off the rear of some lincoln of ford vehicle, anyone have any ideas on cheap alternatives to converting to rear discs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: rear disc brakes

There are some Lincoln brackets that I've seen on ebay for less than $100 that would use the existing mounting holes to mount a caliper, but it's not hard to do a custom setup. If you grind on the axle flange a little bit you can fit a dana 44 rotor right onto the axle, then buy some cheap weld-on caliper brackets and fit them up then weld them onto the housing. You could do the same for a 8.8" axle but it would take way more grinding since the axle flange is almost 1" larger than the d44 rotor inside diameter. Look on ebay, there are all kinds of 9" disk kits that might give you some ideas. I believe it was the Lincoln Versailles that had the factory disks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:11 AM

I heard that the old Continentals had them too. Would they still have 5 on 5 1/2 still though. Aren't cars 5 on 4 1/2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Is it worth it? The more I search the more I see guys arguing that there rear drums stopped them beter in the full size bronco's. Of course my axles are going under a durango on 39's, but would it be a better choice to find a bigger drum to run on the rear end or go discs?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 01:23 PM

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Disks are better in every sense of braking, but when you swap to them from drums it will seem like they have less braking force because they require more line pressure to keep the vehicle from rolling at lower speeds. This basically means you'll have to press the brake pedal harder to keep the truck stopped on a hill, but if you swap master cylinders to a larger bore then you will get rid of this problem. I trash wheel cylinders about every other big mud run, which is reason enough to say F*** drums. I don't get a chance to run mud much any more but I'm still swapping to disks because the drums just won't stay adjusted right and only work about a third of the time... very annoying and dangerous.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

alright, I've got my mind set on using rear 88 Mk VII rotors and calipers (are those rotors 5x5.5 bolt pattern?) and I'll most likely homebrew up some brackets from 3/16 or 1/4" Sheet. Is it unheard of to weld the brackets on? I'd must rather have them welded on rather than bolted.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

No, those rotors don't have 5 on 5.5" pattern, and they won't fit over the truck axle flanges without SERIOUS removal of steel.

I'm still looking for a '98-04 F150 8.8" with discs that I can cut the shock & spring mounts off of and weld on the ones for my truck. Then I'll have my front hubs & rotors drilled for the new lug spacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode