Small Block Chevy Swap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Small Block Chevy Swap??

Would a SB chevy swap into my 76 f-250 with divorced t-case if I had a chevy 4 speed bellhousing? I was thinking that chevy and ford both used the same 4 speed tranny in the 70's? I know this sounds nuts but my 300 is very screwed and I have a very good SB chevy collecting dust. I know its total taboo and not right at all but as I said I don't have anything better to do with it and I need an engine that doesen't use a 1qt of oil every 20 miles. I really want a built 460 but it will probably take years to scrape up the $ to do it. Its just a thought but It seems like it would work. I've seen a guy swap a SB into an old 4cyl mustang that didn't run and It really wasn't that hard to do. Would the chevy pan clear everything? This would deffinately not be permanent but If I could get it to work without a major headache it would get me by till I could find a good core and build somthing better(ford!). I've got a radiator all the brackets alternator, power stearing pump etc. Wiring wouldn't be a problem and niether would rigging the power stearing up. I just need to know if it would fit, If I need another tranny or can I swap belhousings?. I do have a manual chevy tranny but its a stupid 3 speed.. If anyone has any idea's let me know. This is probably a retarded idea but as I said I know the engine I've got is in excelent shape and the 300 in it is crap. Also can't find a descent deal on a GOOD used ford engine around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 03:35 PM

Re: Small Block Chevy Swap??

Let me be the first to say

"That just ain't right !"

Now that it's out of my system let me count the ways that it's wrong. I'm a Mo-pure car guy, so nobody hates Chebbies worse than me, but when it came time to buy a truck it was Ford, Ford or Ford. There's a reason Ford sells more trucks than Chebby or Dodge, they're better.

Now, back to your problem. Up here I have my choice of Ford parts when I go to a yard. My Chevy buddies (yes we do speak) are always lifting the hoods crying the blues because someone f'd off with their precious 350. I'm pretty sure it's the same where you are too, right ?

Take you're good running SMC to any yard and they'll happily trade you a good running straight 300 six even and throw in everything else you may need.

You've already guessed that it ain't a-gonna be a drop in, wire up and bolt in affair. You'll spend countless hours and MORE money making this work and after all that nobody's going to pat you on the back and say "welcome in brother".

You'll be ostracized from the Ford and Chebby camps and possibly more hated than a chicken molester in the South.

Straight sixes do not command top dollars used, SBC do. Do the right thing and save your family untold shame !

After you're up a ruuning cheaply, with a stock six, you can slowly, carefully and cheaply assemble what you need for a bigger Ford V-8 swap later on.

Hang your head in shame boy !

Sixlitre [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong when it comes to trucks I am a die hard Ford man. The only reason I even have a SB chevy is I was going to stick it in a car I had that needed more umph it had a really lame 140hp 305 it was terrible but I got rid of the car before I ever did anything with it.. I am lacking in funds lately and thought 'hey its sitting there doing nothing and my 300 smokes worse than a turned up mack truck' Yards around here don't have alot of Ford stuff because FORDS ARE STILL ON THE ROAD! All kinds of junked chevys.. 350/400 is the going rate for a 302 and they are actualy wanting 450/500 for 300s! I've noticed that remanufactured 300's are more expensive than 351w's! 302's seem to be the cheapest engines available right now.. I hate to go to one but maybe I could trade the SB/C for a 302. Would be alot less headache that way. I dunno though whats weaker a carb'd 302 or a carb'd 300 I love the EFI 300's but the older engines are slugs. I hope nobody places a curse on me for such a taboo shameful thought.. At least I didn't suggest swapping in a dodge motor. I just trying to think of a little or no $ way to get the stupid thing dependable so I can fix the hundred thousand other things that need fixed on it. Its just one of those deals where you dont even know were to start. When the engine is crap you don't feal like fixing the stearing play etc... At least if I can get in it and drive it without worrying about having to call a tow truck then I can start on the other problems.. Plus I won't have my wife asking me why I am spending money on the truck that I never drive because the engine is crap.. This is all I need to get it to the point where It would be dependable/safe daily driver

1 A new Engine
2 A new Clutch
3 4 16" wheels so I can mount the radials I have for it instead of driving around on dry-rotted bias-ply 16.5's.
4 The power assist control arm/valve whatever you want to call it. I did located one for $75.
5 The tie rod ends.
6 the front driveshaft yoke (its to short and I am afraid of it comming apart)
7 A Passenger side wiper arm (no idea what happened to it..)
8 New Bulb sockets for the front marker/turn lights (corroded and work half the time)
9 New front brake pads (they are almost shot)

10 The female end of all 3 seat belts (some retard cut them off why!??)

Then here is the other stuff I think {should} be replaced but isn't real high priority.. well ok I lied stuff I WANT!

1 All new U-joints
2 2 Drivers Side Door (looks like somone backed up with it open, smacked a tree and bent it around into the fender.Very hard to shut and doesen't seal worth a crap)
3 A seat cover
4 A FM Radio (AM SUCKS!!!)
5 Some 33's or 35's!!!
6 A Brush Guard/Front bumper.
7 A front and rear locker
8 A winch
9 Some clearance lights for the cab so I have somthing to knock off on tree limbs..
10 A power assist to POWER stearing upgrade.
11 Warn Premium Hubs
12 A under the truck gas tank instead of the behind the seat 15 gal.

Let me know if anyone has any of this stuff they want to get sell/trade.

The body isn't worth a crap But I don't care. The cab is descent thanks to some sheatmetal, rivets and undercoating. Ugly 4x4's are fun you don't have to worry about scratches dents and rollovers. I think I have a good setup to work with its just a matter of getting together the $ to do it on a limited budget. The truck was basicly free and so far I've dumped maybe 250/300 into it. I replaced front brake hoses, battery, sylanoid, battery cables,radiator hoses, rebuilt the carb, and the starter. had new exaust system put on it (had none when I got it, just a manifold.) And rebuilt the fuel system. Also managed to do some trading and get a roll-bar with 3 KC's, A tach and a tripple guage set. But thats all i've managed to do in a year and I would really like to get the thing dependable before winter. Maybe its a lost cause but I couldn't beat it for what I have in it I guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 PM

Jacob

Get to a junkyard that is patched in to the nation-wide computer system and offer him that SBC. Estimates are free !

Sounds like it's on the road and running right ? Price a remanufactured cylinder head and a re-ring set-up from a jobber.

In my younger (almost as poor)days I could yank a motor out, swap off the head, pull the pan, disconnect the rod ends, pull the pistons out and run the de-glazing ball up and down the cylinders in a weekend.

Just use a lot of rags to catch the de-glazing fluid (usually brake fluid) and wipe up well and slap her back together with the re-man'd head.

The bearings usually come with it, so polish the crank journals with some 400 and away you go.

I still say you can swap a SBC for a straight six 300 in running condition.

I wouldn't put all that time and money toward a carbureted 302. Save the beans and stick it towards a bigger motor later, but get that 300 running or replaced. Don't get me wrong, I wish my carbed Dodge motors had run as well as these fuel injected 302s, but a carbed motor needs to be bigger to compete with a given EFI motor.

IMO

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:26 AM

I'd rather have a 300 6 than a 302 anyday. I wish they made a sraight 8 cylinder motor! I believe the straight design puts out alot more torque than than a V8 of equal size. Fuel injection is ideal but you gotta use what works. I agree with Sixliter. Swap your 350 for the proper motor. It will save you alot of headache and will bolt right into what you have without mods. You will be doing plenty of those as it is if you stick to your current list.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:47 AM

Norm

I concur, the big 6, in good working order is a reliable torquey motor for a truck, Steve83 luvs his. Fast it ain't, but there's plenty of Ford V-8s to choose from to rememdy that.

Sounds like our friend's options are limited right now and rebuilding or replacing the 6 makes more economic sense than a 302, like you say, and WAY more sense than commiting heresy !

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I am going to just check into swapping the SB/C for a 300 then sounds like a cheap easy way to go about it. I totaly agree with you on the 6. Alot more low-rpm power than a 302. Not much fun factor in the mud though. But since I have a new exaust system and rebuilt carb and rebuilt starter the 300 would be a practical way to go. I could just throw a new clutch in it while the motor is out. It doesen't slip but you can tell the throw out bearing is about shot because it rattles and has a vibration when you engage the clutch. Plus its getting a little weak It doesn't slip but not much pedal. There is a place in louisville called Kentucky Clutch and they are VERY cheap and very good. When I had to replace the clutch in my f150 a couple years ago, The best parts store price I could get was $179 for the clutch kit and $90 for the slave Cyl. I bought everything at KY clutch for $150. I hate to tear the motor thats in it apart since it runs and I can move it around. I live in town now don't have alot of parking room it would be a royal pain to have it sitting in front of the garage for a couple months while i rebuilt it. Maybe I will see how much more id have to throw in to go to a 351-w They aren't too bad would be great with my 4.56 gears. Every time they have a truck pull down here I wish I had a v8 again sigh... Expecialy when I see the street stock class won by a late model with the modulur engine (P.O.S.) And an auto tranny...Makes a 180' pull and wins the class. A stock 460 in my rig would pull ALOT better than that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

I did some checking today called about 5 diffrent yards and the going price for a 300 is $500/$900 exchange !! I can get a 460 for the same price why?? 302's only run $150/$200 complete with brackets intake/exaust manifolds and carb. Nobody I talked to wanted to do any swapping but I have one more yard to check with tommarow and I've delt with the guy alot so maybe he'd swing something like that. The only thing I can figure about 300's being so expensive is the fact that they only came out in trucks where all the other for engines were basicly available in just about every vehicle they made. Plus the fact that they run forever and the only time your going to find one in a junkyard is in a wreck. The $150/200 for a 302 is starting to sound halfway apealing as much as I don't like them. At least I could get going down the road again. Can you really get any power out of the old carb'd 302's? I know the really old ones like late 60's very early 70's had more power than the later windsors did but I don't know what they did diffrent? Is it in compression? Can you slap a set of flat top pistons and a mild cam in a 302 with a 4bbl and get descent tourque without having to run race fuel because of the compresion ratio? I have no clue how much compression one runs stock but I assume its very low considering the power output. I know that chevy f'd around with there heads alot in the 70's and alot of motors can really be woke up by swapping the heads out for stock heads of other SB's (ie: the SB 307 which is the wimpiest thing chevy ever made will smoke a 350 if you put a set of late 70's 305 heads on it. They are a 289 with 327 crank flat top pistons and heads that have combustion chambers you could park a bus in and intake valves smaller than a chain saw. were a 305 has high comp. heads big valves and dished pistons) but I haven't a clue on Fords. I used to mess with Crap chevys when I was a teenager learned alot about them because they are junk hehe. If I would have started out with a ford I probably wouldn't have hardly any mechanical knowledge since they never break down [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wouldn't necicerely have to have awesome off idle tourque considering I have 4.56 gears but If I could get somthing realy tourqy in the 2000/3000rpm range that wouldn't be bad. It runs about 2800 rpm at 55mph and with it in low-range and granny low you could idle up a tree if you had traction. The way its geared its rare that you would ever need the engine really below 2k. I don't plan on rockcrawling with it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 AM

the 300's are stacked up a mile high around here in rotted out 80's vans. try looking around for those.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

i got a 300 with an extra crank that needs gone through you can have for free if you come and get it!!!

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode