Fuel delivery problem HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Fuel delivery problem HELP!

My 76 f-250 has a fuel delivery problem. I've rebuilt the carb replaced fuel pump, replaced the fuel line from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb. Replaced the filter, Cleaned out the gas tank took the pickup out cleaned it out re-soldered the pickup tube to the fitting on top of the tank (the joint was bad). And It works good idling but if you get it over 1500 rpm it runs out of fuel. I have a clear fuel filter at the carb and you can tell that its just not getting the gas up there. I've checked for kinks in the fuel line there is none. I've even tried another fuel pump still doesen't work right. Also I can run a line from a gas can under the hood to the input side of the fuel pump and it runs fine with no problems. Any idea's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 07:30 AM

Re: Fuel delivery problem HELP!

Do you think there could be rust in the tank? Maybe the pickup is clogged/broken. Other than that I'd think maybe the fuel pump isn't as good as you hoped. Swap it out for a new one. I know you just replaced it but it's easier to start there than the tank.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pump is brand new. The tank has no rust its one of the behind the seat tanks so it is in excelent shape. Though thinking of rust or broken pickup i pulled the tank out cleaned it took the pickup out re-soldered it to the fitting on top of the tank because it was just barely hanging on and I thought maybe it was sucking air up at the top now I know its not because its actualy togehter right. Nothing in the pickup tube... I wonder if maybe the lobe that the fuel pump runs off is worn out? I am going to go buy a fuel pressure tester and see what I've got. Anyone know what would be acceptable pressure for a 300/6 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Torvald

it's a pain but try blowing air through the new lines sounds like a blockage, it allows low pressure flow but starves on demand. that or one of your connections is messed up, crimped or blocked.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Tried that already.... Replaced all the lines and hose clamps. Did di a flow test yesterday. If i get the bowl full disconect the line run it into a container and start it I am only getting 15 oz with it running for 40 seconds at idle...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:44 PM

For all the PITA you've been through I'd try another new pump. It's not imposible that you were sold a bad unit. Also like you said make sure the lobe hasn't come loose. Maybe you could feel it with a screwdriver or something. Worse case scenerio you will have to pull the timing chain cover. For all the trouble I might consider an electric pump. It would require you bending some new lines and putting a blockoff on the old fuel pump but it sounds like you have the skills to get the job done. I'd mount it on the xmember right in front of the tank so it would be more of a pusher than a puller.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:44 PM

When you soldered it maybe a booger/bur is restricting the line? only thing that came to mind.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Finaly fixed it!.. I am guessing it was the lobe for the fuel pump half shot. I bought a Purolater universal electric pump and mounted it on the frame about 6" from the tank. Put a clear inline filter before it and ran from the outlet on the electric pump to the inlet on the stock pump. Also a second clear filter right before the carb. I stuck a toggle switch on the fuel pump that works only when the key is on. Now I can use it when the mechanical pump acts up or when it needs primed. Runs good now. But when I get time I am going re-plumb it with metal lines from the tank to the engine. Also probably just get a blockoff plate and say hell with the mechanical pump. But an engine swap is in the near future so I will probably do all that then. Also invest in an oil pressure activated cutoff switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode