Help with my 8.8 PLEASE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
XLTChris

Help with my 8.8 PLEASE

Ok.. Quick story on whats wrong.

My Bronco was making a "gear" sound for the past week or so. It was the same gear sound my old S 10 was making before I changed the fluid.. SO I changed my 8.8's fluid. I used the posi fluid and the noise was still there.. Then I thought it might be the T case. So I changed the fluid and the "gear" sound was still there.. Then I thought it was the tranny so today I took it down to the place we allways get work done and they drove it and with out even going around the block they said it was the rear end.
They want 75 bucks to lift the truck, take the cover off, take the tires off and the drive shaft off and check the pinyon and ring to see if the shims are still ok.. They will also check the bearings and try to figure out whats wrong with it.

My delema is this.. They said if its the gears they can do the labor for 300 and then the price for the gears. I guess thats not too bad but I was planing on getting a locker and different gears when I get 35's. So I dont want to spend a bunch on nice new gears to only have them for a few months..
It might be the bearing.. But if it is the labor would still be the same and I will just have to get the bearings and they will press them in.

I want to know what other options I might have.. Should I pay to have them look and figure what is wrong with it and then decide if I should have it fixed?

What other rear end will BOLT up to my 1995 Bronco? I am talking, going to the junk yard and getting a nice rear end and taking it home and bolting it to my leaf springs and breaks and E break...? What rear end other than the 8.8 will do that?

I dont want to spend 600 bucks if it's the gears and then just spend it all over again when I get the locker and new gears.
I cant get the new gears now because then my d44 will be wrong and I couldn't off road for a while.. Cant have that..
And I cant get them both re geared because I still have 31's..

I need Help.
They said the rear could go out anytime. And it's kinda loud.. =(
I figure for 600 bucks I could find a 9inch or a 8.8 with disk breaks or maybe a 1 ton rear and just have 8 lugs in the rear for a while..
Anyone know what would work?

Sorry to make this long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 04:37 PM

Re: Help with my 8.8 PLEASE

The 9" will fit back there but it will mess with the ABS since it doesn't have the tone gear. there's ways arround this but they will probably cost money too. $300 is average for labor but if you can find a friend (aka certified mechanic friend) that will do it for less go that route. It sounds to me that it's time to man up and get your detroit. This is Jimmy rig to the highest degree and I won't accept any consequences but I'd disconnect the rear driveline and run 4 hi untill you can afford to get the work done. I don't think any thing negative can happen from doing this other than extra front end wear since there won't be any rear driveline to fight with the front I think you will be OK running front wheel drive like this. See if they will cut you a discount for doing both at once. It is a spendy endevor but anything you can do to make it cheaper while getting it done right is well worth it. I don't think it's a good idea to send any more power to the rear than you have to untill it's fixed or you WILL end up HAVING to buy a new rear possibly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 01:11 PM

Re: Help with my 8.8 PLEASE

Alot of rears will bolt in, but a very few will work factory style. You will have to get an 8.8 or a D60 with the ring. If you put in the 60 it requires rims and a PSOM reprograming(simple) but it is a good rear. If you go 8.8 it requires a good cleaning......

The ABS gear is required for the speedo to work and thus the tranny to shift correctly. It affects more than the ABS......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode