c-6 floor shift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

c-6 floor shift

im wanting to posibly convert my c-6 to rachet styl floor shifter. sintead of the column POS

bare with me im completly new to auto trannys and kinda to building fords.

i just got the c-6 back from being rebuilt and im wanting to find a motor to toss it behind, the 400 thats in it kinda junk.

i have know idea about the trannies, im sure it posbile.

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 10:55 AM

Re: c-6 floor shift

A 460 will bolt up. The 351/400M and the 460 are all from the same familly of motors. I'm not sure about motor mounts, ect though. Here's a link on how to beef up the ole 400 and here's one that has some good info on installing a 460.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

big norm

id like 460 but 220 a galon i think ill shy from the big block, if anything ill toss a 351, windsor modified dont mean beans to me,

truck has 400 in it, and ive got a line on a 400 for cheap. or posibly get the current 400 freshnd up, its got a bent valve and im not sure what else, or what cause it.

back to tranny guess i strayed to far in my original post, the c-6 tranny is what i was wantn info on,

i dont like the column shifter, im wanteing to install a floor shifter to simplify things alittle get rid of all the kickdown bs stuff and ill just put it in whatever gear i want when i want.

ill do some lookin and see what i find.

im pretty positive the 351/400 means they are the same block, kinda like 305350. actualy i did some research awhile back and it may be a slightly taller bore along with the 400 crank, basicaly stroked 351.

i found alot of info to realy get some juice out of the 400s but i doubt my pocket book would like it, plus if shes runs thats good enough for me.

id rather put that kinda money into my project chevy.

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:40 AM

The 400M is a big block as is the 351M. Your tranny won't support a small block and I doubt you would suffer any more for the 460. Check out Summit/Jegs/PAW. They all sell cable type shifter assys that will work for what you want. Although I don't know why you would want to kill your kickdown linkage. What's the problem with column shifting? It's not as if we're drag racing. and even if we were I doubt the shifting assy would make a difference.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I dont know, i just cant stand auto trannies, shifing when they want to.

i bet i havent put 50 miles in the drivers seat of auto trannied rig in 12 years.

i thought about putting the 435 in this truck, i think its the 435. grannow low with 3 speed, almost identical to the 465 in my chevy. but somewhow the c-6 got rebuilt for next to nothing and it was all said and done before i put to much thought into it.

if 460 presented itself for cheap then id think realy hard on it if i didnt have to do rebuild.

ive been thinking about it and i just miight punch out the 400 and toss some new pistons and rings in it along with all bearings and seals plugs and junk, just so im starting fresh.

as you can tell i know pretty well nothing of ford stuff when it comes to knowing what they are. i had know idea the 351m and 400 where bigblocks.

thoughi wonder if all they are is tall deck small block

thanks for your info so far. ill keep you posted on what happens with the power plant

Evan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i was curious so i had to do alittle research as to where the 351/400m gets its big block name

the m blocks have 1" taller deck height and share the 429/460 bell houseing bolt pattern.

as far as i can tell my 400 block is probly the D7TE <nobr>truck</nobr> block,
about the only difrence is the #3 main thrust bearing suport web is strengthend to suport the force from a clutch. it suposebly has truck only pitons that produce 8.4:1 compression

from 1971-82 there were 8 difrent m block cylinder head variations and 5 difrent combustion chamber volumes

thats about all the readin im good for for today.

Evan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:48 AM

You do know that the autos have a 1st and 2nd gear selection? I've heard Montana has some mountains. In mountainous terrain I find having an auto much more convenient since you can load the torque convertor with the gas and crawl using the brake. It's true that you can achieve similar effect using a throttle trigger on the shifter so that you can clutch and brake with your feet and implement the throttle with your right hand leaving you to steer with the left. I'd find it hard to do all this while hanging out the window to make sure I'm not going to go over the edge. (gotta watch that tire). Basically I like keeping it as simple as possible in these situations as they are complex enough most times. Of course if you are a street poser then it really doesn't matter. I love manuals in street vehicles. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:56 AM

The 351/400m engines are basicly just a tall deck 351 cleavland. They retarded the timming (with the timming gears) from the factory 12 deg. i believe. Anyway they usualy have the big valve heads. Swapping the timming gears/chain out for an aftermarket double roller and upgrading to pop up pistons will make a screaming 400. A buddy of mine did that to his and It was wimpy as hell before with 2bbl. He rebuilt it with pop up pistons and edelbrock performer rpm intake/cam/carb and it was down right scary! I was impressed! He could smoke my 460 but tourque wise I had the advantage.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

yeah actualy i am just a poser

ill get the hell outa here now
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:00 AM

I believe the key word was "if". As in you are building a street cruiser. And I call them posers because I just don't get the scene where you are building a 4WD truck for the express purpose of driving it on the street. It don't make sense to me. Then again, alot of things don't. Like why someone has got to pass you just to slow you down. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode