duel tanks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Youngy

duel tanks

Gidday, was wondering if anyone has tried to put duel tanks on a 1981 bronco? There seems to be enough room for another tank on the opposite side but didn't know if I would have to get a tank made up to fit. Planning to travel inland in Australia and it is a long stretch between drinks out there.
See ya when your downunder.

Youngy [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:20 PM

Re: duel tanks

The problem with running a tank on the opposite side is that the exhaust needs to run over there. I have been thinking about duels myself for quite awhile now though. I don't think an F150 tank would fit because of the back seat passenger floorboards. I had thought of cutting that section out and flipping it over to accomodate the tank and make more room underneath as well. I'm not sure how happy passengers will be with the mod but it would add some more fuel. I haven't had the opportunity to check my wrecking yards yet to see anything that might work. I probably won't do the floor mod as described but as said I have thought about it, but I will do some measuring underneath behind the floorboard to compare with different wrecks to see what will work. I know I don't have much to offer here but encouragement. Definately let me know if even by PM to show me what you've come up with. Take Care. NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 06:58 PM
mudbug6483

Hey Youngy I didn't know that they ever used p.u. style side tanks on the broncos. Have you thought about adding in a tank that mounts between the framerails behind the axle? That's what my 82 came with. Is mine an oddball or did they make them differently down under?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Youngy

I already have an LPG tank behind the axle so I can run dual fuel. I'm pretty sure the tanks are the same whether Aussie or Yank but I have thought about moving the exhaust pipe so it exit in front of the rear wheel on the right side leaving room between the chassis rail and the drive shaft for a tank on the right side.
I think the only real differences between the broncos is that in my 1981 model it runs a 351 cleveland I believe is built in Aus whereas you guys were running windsors.

I'll keep everyone informed when I get the chance to try the installing dual tanks but I've returned to uni and the money is a bit tight so it might be a while.

See ya when ya downunder [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 12:10 PM

80 and 81 had the M motor hear in the states. It's cool that they are still cranking out the Cleveland motor down under.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 05:23 PM

Probably enough room where the exhaust would normally go, like what you were thinking. Not much room though, the tank might have to be custom, and would get ya 15 gals. or so. You could put a can carrier on back, I run a 5 gal back there, that's easy to fab up, but you could make it to hold 2 fives.

What are you gonna do for parts availability out there if she breaks down? Easy to find the basic Ford Truck parts?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 07:30 PM

I was looking under mine today. (Been there alot lately. Is it sick to just lay under your truck and daydream?) Anywho. I'm thinking of putting one in the area between the rear body xmember and in front of the rear seat foot rest area. With the lift I'll be running I doubt that there is going to be any clearance issues with this. I'm thinking of looking for some type of smaller 4x4 tank that would sit to the rear of the truck. Maybe I Bronco 2. Dunno yet I still have to take measurements and look around. an extra 14-20 gallons would be cool. I think Youngy and I are looking into the same type of wheeling or similar at least. He is wanting to explore the outback and I'm wanting to explore the vastness of Nevada Desert (Old ghost towns, ect.). I believe if you break down in either area it could be a bad thing. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Youngy

Your right there about the distance. I travelled around Australia a couple of years back in a 1999 Falcon ute with an aftermarket 120 litre tank. Sticking to the main roads the distances between possible fuel stops stretched out to 400-500 kilometres then off road tracks you can add another 200 kilometres easy. Up the top end I was travelling over a 1000 kms a day, longest day was over 1300 kms, so the bigger tank was a God send. After that experience if I'm going to take the Bronco out there I want to be able to carry a lot of fuel.
Still don't know what the M engine is as I've never heard of it down here but unfortunately the cleveland production demised in the mid 80's, (leaving us with just six cylinders for many years), now the have the windsor being built for the falcons (large family car) but the cleveland does appear in quite a few modified cars to this day. One bloke down here has started building alloy heads for them.

Thanks for all the replies,
See ya when your downunder
Youngy [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 AM

The M motor is similar to the Cleveland but it has EGR passages. The heads will swap.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Youngy

parts aren't too bad to get hold of if you know the right people but to get the equipment to modify the broncos is bloody hard. Most only deal in the jap 4wds, for Fys and bronco the bits have to be imported from over where you are.

see ya when ya downunder
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode