2-Wheel Drive To 4x4 Swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

2-Wheel Drive To 4x4 Swap?

I've been looking into getting an extended cab to replace my daily driver 91 f-150 2-wd. However I am keeping the truck around as it has no trade in value do to high miles. Anyway it runs great uses no oil its an XLT everything works and the body has no rust. I also have a 76 f-250 4x4 np-205 divorced d60 rear d44 front 4.56 gears 300/4speed. The body on it is crap and the engine needs rebuilt. The 91 has a EFI 300 and a ZF 5 speed and 2:72 rear end. What I am wondering is How dificult and would it be possible and what parts would I need to take the T-case the d60 and the d44 and put them under my 2-wheel drive. Perhaps even keep the 5 speed so the 4.56 gears dont eat as much gas(5 speed is od)..In theroy it seems like a good idea i'd get all the features of a modern truck and the durability of old school 4x4. Any input on this would be appreceated. I think that the much stronger EFI 300 would be awesome in comparison to worn out carbed 300. Also having AC Cruise tilt delay wipers and power everything would also be nice. I was thinking maybe throw some 33's under it since my donor suspension is highboy. I also suppose for I could bolt the 4 speed up to my EFI 300? 5 speed just seems like a better idea since I have no clue how I would get the speedo and cruise to work right with 4 speed. The 2wd has 237k on it but I am the second owner and have kept up the maintnence almost no hauling whatsoever all highway so as I said very solid engine and tranny. Maybe this idea is nuts.. Any ideas?? [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:27 PM

Re: 2-Wheel Drive To 4x4 Swap?

I think you definately have the parts to do the job. The D44 and D60 rear will easilly handle 33's. 35's is the general rule with the D44 front. You will be conducting a solid axle swap so you will have to decide if you want to run leafs or coils in your rig. Both are good and there is an ever ongoing argument on which is better. Remember that the 70's truck frames were slightly narrower so you will have to measure and make the adjustments accordingly. To read more on what many others have done click here. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress if you would. Many here are interested. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Take Care. NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of trying to use the f-250 springs since it is a highboy and i'd be able to stick 33's on with no problems. I am wondering about stearing though? I deffinately want to pitch the "power assisted" crap system on the f-250 its half shot anyway. So you think the EFI 300 should turn 33's pretty good with 4.56 gears then? The 2wd has crap gears and has no trouble with hills ALOT more powerfull than the worn out carb'd 300 in the f-250. nows the question of 4 speed or 5 speed? I could easily go eaither way but I do think that the 4 speed is in alot better shape i've noticed that the syncronizers in the 5 spd aren't what they used to be but If i go with the 4 speed what do I do about clutch linkage since the 2wd has a hydrolic clutch system? did they ever make a mechanical linkage clutch setup on the 87/96 f- series? Maybe in like a f-250/f-350 with a granny 4 speed? or did they even have those things in the newer trucks? ohh well so many things to figure out on this one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 AM

The EFI engine would be the better route. If you are swapping the rear then use the 4 sp tranny so as not to have to work the driveshaft lengths. The spring choice is up to you. Keep in mind the 4 speed will come through the floor differently, and you might need to do some fancy work to work the t-case linkage as I think it is right sided and the truck is set up for left sided...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Good point there on the driveshaft length. The granny low is nice also but so is the overdrive. Though if you think about it the 5 speed would throw off the front driveshaft length also. So that could get really interesting. I wish I could just find a donor truck that has all the parts I need to fix up my old beater. Every time I think of doing anything with it I get overwelmed and don't know where to start. The engine blows oil real bad the stearing is loose and I need a set of 16" rims to mount the 16" tires I bought used for it thinking that the truck had 16" rims but it has stupid 16.5" with what almost looks like the oldest most dry-rotted set of bias ply AT's in existance. The list goes on... All I've managed to do was put a new exaust system on the stupid old thing because the old one was not even there. If it was I might have really noticed how crappy the engine actualy was. Ohh well.... Maybe I should just go get a cheap 302/351w and say heck with my dump 2/4wd swap idea. I dunno.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Today I think I found somthing that would make this a whole lot easier. I found an 89 f-250 ext cab 4x4 351w/auto engine is trash tranny and t-case ??? interior has been gutted etc. Alot of good parts I need body wise on it plus the 16" alluminum wheels. Anyway what about using the axles and springs front and rear off this f-250 and bolting them up to my 2wd. then using my engine/tranny and the 205 divorced transfer case. And have new driveshafts made up? wouldn't the axles and suspension bolt right up to my 91? Would I be better off figuring out how to adapt the t-case thats in it to my tranny ? or just use the granny 4 speed and the 205 with the 89's axles? I wouldn't be doing anything real hardcore with it. Anybody have any idea's? [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:02 AM

The 89 will have the TTB front.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Scratch that idea... TTB sucks... Plus I stopped today and talked to the guy (I stopped the other day and his wife told me $400) Well he says that he is taking a bunch of stuff off of it ie: the 16" wheels THAT I NEED! and to top it off he wants $800!!! He tells me the tranny is burnt up and the motor hammers in it... But its a good deal he says... I laughed at him! 400$ sure 800$ NO WAY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode