Bought a D44 SA and now re thinking the challange. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
XLTChris

Bought a D44 SA and now re thinking the challange.

Ok.. Well I thought I got a good deal on Ebay for a 1978/79 D44 yesterday. It's missing some parts but my thought was to just take it completely appart and re build it with new parts. Now after I look around I notice that will cost allot.. Any the SAS swap kits are expencive...
I have read about getting the radius arms from the same year truck to make the swap. Will I need to get new brackets also? What about the track bar and steering? Someone said they had to get thoes parts from a 1999 truck to make it work.. Will I have to get the stock coils from a 1978/79 truck or could I get bigger coils to lift it? This is seeming like it will be too big of an install for my everyday driver.
I dont have a good garage to do this in and I need to drive the truck. I was thinking this would be easy.

What list of parts do I really need to make this happen?
I will have to put all new axle shafts in. Spindels, breaks, and gears. Should I have started off with a different axle?

Just a tip.. Dont bid on things on Ebay when you haven't slept in two days and your slightly drunk...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:18 PM

Re: Bought a D44 SA and now re thinking the challange.

I think you should always start with a complete axle even if its a junker, sure nothing is garaunteed to be salvagable etc. but my train of thought with any swap is you can bump up to a beefier drivetrain as much as you want, but if your swap is only downgrading because of a less functional part then your only hurting yourself, in other words, if you were putting a SAS in the front you might have wanted to look into putting different gears, new brakes etc. in there, all depends on how much the front axle didnt come with and how good of a "deal" you really got? On my front axle the only thing being used is the guts of the diff, the housing, rotors and shafts (spindles etc.), other then that its all going to be brand new from rebuilding to gears brakes etc. Just my .02, if you got a very good deal dont consider it a loss. My front axle (1979 SA D44 from a F150 complete hub to hub cost me 250 bucks w/out radius arms) was from a local junkyard because I had all intentions of going through the entire thing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:24 PM
XLTChris

I got this..

1/2 Ton Ford Pickup or 78-79 Full-Size Bronco. Includes housing, track bar, steering arm, both knuckles, driver side spindle and caliper arm and ring & pinion gears (3.50 Ratio, Limited Slip). No axle shafts, differential cover or other internals.

All for 100 bucks. And I have to go get it so about another 80 or so for gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
will have to put all new axle shafts in. Spindels, breaks, and gears. Should I have started off with a different axle?

[/ QUOTE ]
i have shafts, calipers, spindles, brackets, radius arms, and all kinds of misc 78.79 junk.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 AM

Click here and read everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode