someone please help me here... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

someone please help me here...

Ok I'm attempting to start pulling these axles apart (front D44 out of 1979 F150, and rear Ford 9"), I started of course with removing calipers, manual hub, spring etc thats in there, then I thought it would come down to the spindle nut and bearing, now something is in my way. Its came down to this thick sprocket deal that is securely wrapped around the splines, it will slide back and forth freely, but will stop when its about half way over the C clip groove on the end of the axle shaft. This is honestly the only thing stopping me in taking this axle apart, I hope someone knows just wtf Im talking about and can help because Im at a stop until it gets figured out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Re: someone please help me here...

nm I got it, thanks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:39 AM

Was it the lock ring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

nope I was pretty much inclined to get pass the lock ring (that took like 3 seconds each side as oppossed to how much of a PITA everyone said they were), it turned out to be a burr in the shaft that wouldnt let the internal gear of the manual hub to slide off, being there's 3" diameter in that deep a$$ rotor I could necessarily pry it off, and my slide hammer was at the other shop..So I did some backyard down home riggin and made a "custom" slide hammer out of Vise grips a flat head screw driver and a hammer.

I will comment on tonights project tho, I was taking the rear 9" pig out and holy mother of moses that was a serious PITA! it didnt want to budge one bit and Im not exagerating when I say this joker was on there. If you looked around the bevel between the 3rd and the housing itself you couldnt see a line...almost seemed rusted on [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Anyways nothing my redneck expertise couldnt solve.

Oh and the front/rear gears came today, on monday the rear mini spool, front true trac, remaining bearings/ball joints warn hubs etc..basically the rest of everything needed to rebuild/regear these axles. I find myself wheeling the tires up to the durango often now and trying to figure what it will look like [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:31 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So I did some backyard down home riggin and made a "custom" slide hammer out of Vise grips a flat head screw driver and a hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone else lives in my world. LOL.
Keep us posted on your progress.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

pics are soon to come, now its putting everything together, I cleaned/prepped/painted the axles over the weekend and looking on the pic of when I got them I can only stare in awe lol Monday I order all the rear disc brake and new front brake components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode