302 Difference - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

302 Difference

What is the base difference in a 1976 302 long block and a 1990 long block besides the oil stick hole and the embalance? I know the '76 has the lighter embalance like the 351 and the block has a hole for the oil stick in the side but both are hydrolic cammed and the timing covers will swap correct?

I have a 76 in my 66 mustang and the water jacket popped. I found about a 90 LTD non-HO that runs for cheap that I want to ratle can rebuild and drop in with the cam I just put in the 76 ( not even run on yet...). I know the 90 is FI and the 76 was carbed but that is intake specific not block right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Re: 302 Difference

timing cover will swap over and the plus is the 1pc rear seal and pan gasket, but the only thing that would concern me is what heads they used on a 90efi ltd?

hopefully it dont have a pair of those kidney shaped combustion chamber heads (which may cause trouble on a carbed engine) that ford stuck in various applications around that period, other than that it should be an easy transplant...

on second thought, i believe the earlier timing cover has a channel on the bottom oil pan seal area for the 3pc pan set with the rubber insert as opposed to the later with a smooth surface for the 1pc rubber gasket, so some creativity may be needed to seal it up.... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 09:48 PM

My new longblock, supposedly for an 86 has the dipstick in the block, not the pan.

Is this correct ?

Postwhore, I mean Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Late 70's the oil dipstick went from the timing cover to the side of the block. the 76 engine is set up for the timing cover while the new has the hole in the block.

I am already using the reusable one piece oil pan gasket on the 76 ans I will swap the pan and timing cover so I know it will fit., provided there is no timing cover issues.

I guess my main concerns are that the carbed manifold and the hydrolic non-roller cam will retransplant and the engine will have good compression so I will not have to rebuild it. As to the fitment, I am 90% sure they will and for free I can take the chance on the engine....

anyone need a complete EFI setup? I might throw it in a box for a later project but I can hook a brother up a bit....will know more about the type in a few weeks....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Is it Mass Air or speed density?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Went back today and looked again. It is an 88 and I saw no sign of a Mass Air Meter, so I would assume S/D.

Looks like I am also getting a 85 carbed 302 for free as well. Whichever has the better compression is getting a new cam and a paint job.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 10:50 AM

Get r done. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:15 AM
mudbug6483

Havack, If the new block has a serpentine belt setup then you'll need to swap the timing covers and water pumps. The serpentine routing turns the water pump the opposite way so Ford changed the timing covers and water pumps to route the water correctly. If you just swap the pulleys then it may overheat the heads and the temp sensor in the intake will be way off.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

That I knew.....I just wanted to know what the block and head differences were besides the crank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode