Front D44 locker question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Front D44 locker question

Hello, I have a front D44 ford axle (big 5 lug pattern), and I have a quick question, I've heard through the grape vine that when they are locked they like to $hit the axle u-joints out and pretty much destroy the axle shafts themselves? I was looking on Wildhorses4x4.com and found a front locker called a "true track" locker, seemed cheap and convenient, I dont need anything overkill just would be nice to have all 4 wheels turning instead of 3. I have a Ford 9" rear and Im spooling it along with throwing 5.13 gears in both axles. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 04:51 PM

Re: Front D44 locker question

I don't think you'd have a problem locking the D44 with a normal locker on a zuk as that it is so light. The true track is a type of limited slip that transfers most of the engines power to the wheel of greater resistance rather the opposite like an open diff.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

For the record, this setup is going under a 98 Durango that I'm performing a SAS on [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The true track sounds exactly as desired, not open..not overkill. Thanks when I heard that it had me worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:42 PM

I'm running a trac-loc from Spicer that has been working great. Plus, it's from the same company that built the D44. Just my .02
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 09:13 PM

I don't think the locker is the main culprit here.

The issue is the D44 uses an internal C clip type retainer vs. the bigger boys with an external retainer. Let me know if you need pics on what I'm talking about.

The D44 ujoint retainer can be modified, though it seems like a total pain to me. You could also get a more serious joint like a CTM that does not have this issue (if money is no object and this is a serious trail rig...hummm a Durango, probably not).

Durangos have the front axle on the drivers side?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:19 AM

I know some crazies that are always picking up extra axles and have so many that they install new ujoints and actually tack weld the cap in place so it can't move around at all. Kinda sucks if you want to replace the shaft but if you have a couple spares already?....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Yes durangos are driver side pig as with all the newer model dodges. It will not be wheeled to aggresively, but will be wheeled non the least. So I was merely looking for a limited slip locker that wouldnt be overkill being as I wont really need a hardcore locker. Otherwise I'd go ARB/ OX in the front/ both ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode